Celebrations are in order for R'n'B singer Alicia Keys today (25 January 2016) as she celebrates her 35th birthday. The Fallin' hitmaker has been hot on the music scene since 2001 and is one of the most celebrated female singers of recent times, but there are most likely some interesting facts about the hitmaker that are not common knowledge.
Keys will no doubt spend her special day with loved ones including husband Swizz Beatz and their sons Egypt and Genesis, enjoying a much-needed rest.
As fans flood the Grammy-winning singer with celebratory messages, Swizz Beatz shared a sweet Instagram post in honour of his wife of five years, writing: "#happybirthdayAlicia The world is blessed to have you! You're 1 of 1 none before & none to come. I wish you endless years of greatness. Love Baba."
To mark Alicia Keys' joyful day, IBTimes UK has found some interesting facts about the multi-platinum selling singer and songwriter you may not have known.
10 facts about Alicia Keys
1. Her real name is Alicia Augello Cook. The piano-playing musician chose to use the very apt stage name of Keys but almost chose Wilde as her last name.
2. The Girl On Fire singer owns an interactive app for children titled The Journals Of Mama Mae And LeeLee. Speaking about her new venture, Keys told The Associated Press in 2012: "It's a new adventure for me, and I'm really enjoying it."
3. Although it is called Songs In A Minor, the majority of songs featured on her debut album are in actual fact not recorded in the key of A Minor.
4. Keys initially had plans for another career path and enrolled at Columbia University before dropping out to pursue her music ambitions.
5. Aged just five, Keys appeared in an episode of The Cosby Show in 1985.
6. Keys is the co-founder of the Keep A Child Alive foundation and hosts a fundraiser every year. The songwriter has been an activist in the fight against HIV/AIDS for more than a decade and founded the We Are Here movement to raise awareness in 2014.
7. In 2010, Swizz Beatz confirmed he and Keys had adopted an entire village in Soweto, South Africa.
8. Keys is the first female artist to have an MTV Unplugged album top the Billboard 200 chart.
9. Dr Deepak Chopra officiated Keys and Swizz Beatz's Corsica wedding in July 2010.
10. In 2012, the No One singer controlled the Empire State Building lights in honour of her hit single Empire State Of Mind, which featured rapper Jay Z.