Samsung has pushed out Android Lollipop stock firmware upgrade with version 5.0.1 for the LTE-A model of Galaxy S4 (GT-I9506), following similar software release for the standard Galaxy S4 (I9500) model.
Bearing a common build number I9506XXUDOA6, the Lollipop update is now live in three different regions such as Slovakia, the Czech Republic (Unlocked and Vodafone) and Germany (Vodafone).
You can upgrade your S4 LTE-A using Samsung Kies software (if the update is available), or wait for the OTA notification to hit your device. You can also manually install the official firmware using the step-by-step guide below.
Installing the firmware, you should be able to enjoy all the Lollipop goodies along with overall system improvement as well as in terms of performance.
- Model: GT-I9506
- Model name: Galaxy S4 LTE-A
- Country: Germany (Vodafone), Czech Republic (Vodafone), Czech Republic, Slovakia
- Version: Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
- Changelist: 3875041
- Build date: 13 January
- Product Code: VD2, VDC, ETL, ORX
- PDA: I9506XXUDOA6
- CSC: I9506VFGDOA4, I9506VFGDOA4, I9506OXXDOA1, I9506OXXDOA1
- MODEM: I9506XXUDOA6
Check out the manual installation guide if you want to update your S4 LTE-A to I9506XXUDOA6 stock Lollipop build.
- Install proper USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 to the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Create a backup of all important data of the Android device using any custom recovery.
- Your Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery charge.
- You should be having an unlocked S4 LTE-A, which is not locked to any particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- It will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- I9506XXUDOA6 Android 5.0.1 Lollipop firmware works only with Galaxy S4 LTE-A I9506. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop official build I9506XXUDOA6 on Galaxy S4 GT-I9506
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Put the phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer. For this click on the tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect Galaxy S4 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
Now you should be having the latest Android 5.0.1 build on your Galaxy S4. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version.