Earlier this month, Sony released a video showing the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) version of Android 5.0 Lollipop running on Xperia Z3, Z2 and Z1. The manufacturer then added Android 5.0 AOSP device configuration source code, pre-built software binaries and build instructions for the Xperia devices, allowing developers to create Android Lollipop AOSP-based custom ROMs for the aforementioned Xperia handsets.
No sooner was the confirmation made public, than recognised XDA contributor and developer shared an AOSP Android 5.0 build for Xperia Z3, reports XDA.
The developer also mentioned that he is working on fixing bugs and making this ROM a daily driver, which might take some time. Given below are the functioning and non-functioning features in this custom version.
- Mobile Data
- Video Playback (Use VLC or another app as workaround for now)
AOSP Android 5.0 beta v2.5 changelog
- Z2, Z3 and Z3c have working modem etc and have same status as Z1 etc??
- Mic is working while calling
- Fixed screen flickering
- Recovery added: TWRP for Z1, ZU, Z1C, Z2 and CWM for Z3 and Z3C
If you wish to experience Android 5.0 on your Xperia Z3 using the early AOSP build, check out the following installation method.
- Create a backup of all the data of your Xperia Z3.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone from Settings>> Developer options.
- Ensure the Android device has 80% charge.
- AOSP Android 5.0 ROM works only with Xperia Z3. Installing this on any other variant might brick the device.
- The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
- As the AOSP build is in its early stage, bugs are likely.
IBTimes UK will not be responsible for any damage to the device.
How to install AOSP Android 5.0 on Xperia Z3
Android 5.0 AOSP ROM [Gapps can be found in the main directory]
or, Alternate link
Fastboot and ADB files [File name: adb_and_fastboot_files.zip]
How to install Android 5.0 AOSP ROM on Sony Xperia Z3
Step-1: Extract the downloaded ROM to get boot.img and system.img
Step-2: Using the fastboot mode install boot.img and system.img files
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery. Then perform wipe data, dalvik and cache
Step-4: Flash Gapps in the embedded recovery
Your Xperia Z3 should now be running AOSP ROM based on Android 5.0.