The much awaited Android 5.1 (Lollipop) OS update is now live for Motorola Moto E 2015 smartphone owners who have subscribed to Verizon's wireless network services in the US.
Announcing the latest rollout officially, Verizon states that the second-gen Moto E users can check out for Android 5.1 firmware update bearing version number 23.11.17 available automatically via over-the-air (OTA) mechanism.
Enhancements to look out for in Android 5.1 OS update
Android 5.1 brings along the following newer enhancements to users of Verizon-driven Motorola Moto E handsets:
- Notifications and improvements: Blocks interruptions until the next alarm. You can choose to enter a scheduled downtime early. Add icons to the volume settings panel that match those that will show on the status bar. You can also alter notification volume controls while media is playing. With the volume controls showing, a tap on the bell icon will bring up notification volume controls.
- Heads-up notifications: In addition to dismissing a heads-up notification, you can now swipe it up to remove it from your screen. It will remain in your notifications tray and you can dismiss it later.
- Quick notifications: You can quickly select different Wi-Fi access points or different paired Bluetooth devices with a new pull-down menu on each tile. Conditional settings tiles that only show if you use the feature - like Invert Colours or Hotspot - can now be hidden via a long-press on the tile.
- Device Protection feature: You can quickly select different Wi-Fi access points or different paired Bluetooth devices with a new pull-down menu on each tile. Conditional settings tiles that only show if you use the feature - like Invert Colours or Hotspot - can now be hidden.
- New lockscreen: If you have enabled Ambient Display, the minimum swipe distance has increased to reduce accidental interactions.
- Clock in the status bar isn't updating and alarms not going off
- Can't delete SMS messages when the SIM card is full
- No ringer audio while making an outgoing call
- Calculator floating point calculations
- Chrome crashes when launched
- Frequent restarts while watching Netflix
- Wi-Fi not automatically reconnecting to home Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi not connecting after being idle all night
- Wi-Fi connection issues with multiple routers in one location
- Bluetooth discovery is not triggered when you refresh settings
- CPU wakelocks that contribute to heavier battery drain
- Connection and synchronisation issues with MS Exchange servers
- Incorrect default APN
- Cannot unlock the SIM with a PIN/PUK code
- Cannot play 'pinned' content
How to manually search for Android 5.1 and install?
Before manually searching for the Android 5.1 and installing it, users need to connect to a Wi-Fi network; also ensure that the battery of the device has at least 50% charge.
- Select the Settings icon in the apps menu.
- Select About phone
- Select System updates
- Select Yes, I'm in. After the software is downloaded, select Install now
- After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
- Your phone is now updated to 23.11.17.