Samsung has finally begun rolling out the highly anticipated Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) OS update to users of its metal-clad Galaxy Alpha, and the latest software will be available automatically via OTA.
According to a SamMobile report, the latest rollout has officially begun from Samsung's home country of South Korea where users of the company's Galaxy Alpha, bearing model number SM-G850S, can check out for Lollipop-related notifications within their handsets.
Also, since the Android Lollipop firmware upgrade has begun rolling out to Samsung Galaxy Alpha users in South Korea, the handset's users in other regions of the world, predominantly the US, UK and India can expect to see the OS upgrade soon.
Hence, owners of Samsung Galaxy Alpha (globally) can check their smartphones on a regular basis for new OTA notifications, and let us know whether Google's Android Lollipop is available.
What's new with Android Lollipop?
Besides upgrading the firmware n Samsung Galaxy Alpha smartphones, Android Lollipop brings along the following newer functionality/enhancements:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Smart Lock: Secure smartphone by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of 'OK Google' voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to Galaxy Alpha smartphones.
- Battery saving features: Indicates remaining time left to charge.
How to manually search for Android 5.0 OS update, from within Samsung Galaxy Alpha smartphones?
The Android 5.0 OS update will be available automatically via OTA, but users can follow the steps mentioned below to search for the update manually:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates.
- Select Download Now.
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now.
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.
Prior to the latest rollout, Samsung's Galaxy Alpha ran the now outdated Android 4.4.4 (KitKat), out of the box.