AT&T is currently rolling out Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update to multiple Samsung smartphone users who have subscribed to its wireless network services in the US.
The Android Lollipop firmware update will be available to users of all the above smartphones via OTA. It can also be downloaded and installed manually.
What's new with Lollipop?
For AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy S5 Active:
Android Lollipop, for Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, will be available in the form of a 1.4GB sized file, and brings along the following newer aspects:
- Material Design UI: New User Interface look and feel, more fluid motions
- Priority mode to only allow certain notifications to get through
- Battery saving features and remaining time left to charge or deplete indicators
- Smart Lock to secure phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car
- Most frequently used settings available with just two swipes down from the top screen
- Songs, photos, apps, and even recent searches from one Android device can be immediately viewed and experienced across multiple Android devices
Verifying Android 5.0 update, post installation:
- Drag down the notification bar, and tap the Settings icon
- Navigate to System category, and select About device
- The following information will be displayed:
- Android version: 5.0
- Baseband version: G870AUCU1BOC5
- Kernel version: 3.4.0-4443965 dpi@SWDD6217 #1 Sat Mar 21 14:51:12 KST 2015
- Build number: LRX21T.G870AUCU1BOC5
For AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy Alpha:
Android 5.0 will be available as an OTA update, in the form of a 1GB sized file, and users of Galaxy Alpha on AT&T can check out for the following new enhancements:
- Improved OS software design
- Bold colours and bright contrast
- New complex views and fluid animations
- Better visibility for Recents and Calendar
- New schedule view
- New event with promoted action
- Calendar picker view has new dropdown capabilities
- Enhanced notifications
- Notifications are more visible and accessible
- Set notification priority and privacy for each application
- Dismiss notification once across all Android devices
- New recent apps
- New Overview space (formerly called Recents)
- Includes both apps and separate activities within those apps
- Improved settings
- Use a finger swipe to access drop down notifications and quick settings
- Screen Pinning
- Pin a specific app or screen to keep it in view
- Share your device
- Set up multiple user accounts on your phone
- New battery settings panel
- Removed SoftCard app (existing users can only remove with a hard reset of the device)
Verifying Android 5.0, post installation:
- Select Settings from application tray or pull down menu
- Select More box in top right corner
- Choose About Device
- The following information should be displayed:
- Software Version: 5.0.2
- Baseband Version: G850AUCU1BOC6
- Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4486591 dpi@SWDD3915 #1
- Build#: LRX22G.G850AUCU1BOC6
For AT&T-driven LG G2:
Users of AT&T LG G2 are advised to check for the following newer aspects, post installation of the Android 5.0 firmware upgrade:
- Removal of the following:
- Browser Bar and Famigo
- AT&T Code Scanner and Beats Music
Post-installation update verification:
- From the home screen, press the Menu key, and then select All settings
- From the General tab, scroll to and select About phone
- Tap Software information
- Your phone's software version information will be displayed
- Android Version: 5.0.2
- Baseband version:M8974A-AAAANAZM-1.0.190128
- Kernel version: 3.4.0
- Build Number: LRX22G
- The Software Version: D80030f
- Update File size: 725MB
In addition to the above carrier-specific enhancements, Android 5.0 brings along a list of general features and functionality, which are:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Smart Lock: Secure smartphone by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of OK Google voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to smartphones for better user interaction.