Samsung Galaxy S5 users in the US, having subscribed to Verizon's wireless network service in the country, have plenty to cheer about as the much expected Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) update is finally live.
Verizon has officially announced the rollout, and the OS update should be available automatically, to Galaxy S5 smartphones, via the over-the-air (OTA) mechanism.
The latest rollout comes relatively early (for the Galaxy S5), in comparison to the earlier Android 4.4.4 KitKat update that rolled out only in December last year.
What's new in Android 5.0?
Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone users can check out for the new functionality mentioned below, that is brought along by the latest Android iteration [bearing software version LRX21T.G900VVRU1BNLC]:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
The Android Lollipop OS firmware update will be available via OTA, but if you have not received the notification for the software upgrade, you can check for it manually.
How to manually search, download and install Android Lollipop update, within Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key >Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK
Installation of server-initiated OTA update:
- After new software is available for your smartphones, it will automatically start downloading in the background. After download completes, you will be notified about installation. Tap Install Now.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S5 will power down and power back on. A screen will appear stating that the installation has been completed, tap OK. To check the current software version, navigate to Home screen > Menu > Settings > About Phone.
Do remember that the size of the Android Lollipop update file is 904MB, and the installation will require some time before it is completed.
Besides, you will need up to 1.7GB of reserved memory to upgrade.
Do let us know about the rollout of the Android Lollipop update, for your Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones.