Owners of Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphones, who have subscribed to T-Mobile's wireless network service in the US, should very shortly notice new OTA notifications representing the much expected Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update, as the carrier has got the firmware technically approved and ready to roll out.
T-Mobile's product manager Des Smith tweeted that T-Mobile-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 4 users can anticipate Android 5.0 to roll out rapidly and hence check for OTA notifications for the OS upgrade.
The latest update confirmation adds meat to an earlier IBTimes UK report that talked about the rollout of Android Lollipop looming imminent for users of T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 handsets in US.
Therefore, armed with the latest confirmation from T-Mobile, users of Galaxy Note 4 can check their handsets on a regular basis for Lollipop.
What's new with Android Lollipop
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Smart Lock: Secure smartphone by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of 'OK Google' voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to Galaxy S4 smartphones.
- Battery saving features: Indicates remaining time left to charge.
How to search for Android 5.0 OS update, from T-Mobile-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphones
The Android 5.0 OS update will be available automatically via OTA, but users can follow the steps mentioned below to search for the update manually:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.