Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is in the spotlight ever since its announcement at the recently concluded Google I/O conference. Android devices including Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 and Galaxy S3 I9300 have received the Jelly Bean thanks to the OTA updates rolled out for them recently.
Jelly Bean brings a host of exciting features to the table such as superior performance, offline voice typing, enhanced Google Search functionality and more. Galaxy S3 I9300 owners can now rejoice with a first-hand experience of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS on their favourite smartphone, thanks to industrious efforts of XDA recognised developer - Faryaab. As this is an unofficial release it may be afflicted with certain bugs and inherent problems. Users are advised to treat this release as a developer preview rather than a public release.
Key Points to Note
- It must be noted that this guide is intended for use with Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work with any other models. The instructions in this guide are meant for reference purposes only.
- IBTimes UK will not be held responsible in case of any claims of warranty being void or inflicting damage to the device as a direct consequence of performing the Jelly Bean update.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 with ClockworkMod Recovery pre-installed.
- If you need assistance in rooting, please refer to our guide how to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3.
- Download the ported Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM (Android-4.1-JellyBean-GNex-OTA-Port.zip, 217 MB).
- Backup all your important personal data on the phone to avoid loss of data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Unofficially [Courtesy: Android Authority]:
How to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Unofficially
Step 1: Copy the Android-4.1-JellyBean-GNex-OTA-Port.zip file to the root folder on your phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Power off your device.
Step 3: Now, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery with a button sequence. Press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until your phone display comes up. Wait for a couple of seconds and it should boot into recovery. Use the Volume buttons for navigation and the Home button to select a particular option.
Step 4: It is advisable to make a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. To do this, select Backup and Restore. Then choose Backup again on the next screen.
Step 5: Tap Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes to confirm data wipe action on the next screen.
Step 6: Now, select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 7: Return to the main menu and tap Advance. Now, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and choose Yes to confirm action on the next screen.
Step 8: Go back to the main menu and choose Install ZIP From SD Card.
Step 9: Select Choose ZIP From SD Card then locate Android-4.1-JellyBean-GNex-OTA-Port.zip file and select it. Confirm the file install process by selecting Yes on the next screen. Wait for approximately 5-10 minutes for the ROM to complete installing.
Step 10: Return to the main menu by selecting Go Back.
Step 11: Reboot your phone by tapping Reboot System Now to complete the installation process.
Now, in case you need to return to your older ROM, simply power off your phone and boot up into Recovery Mode. Hit Backup and Restore and then select Restore to restore your backup ROM.
You have successfully installed Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.