The Galaxy S2 I9100 is among the few Android smartphones to get regular custom ROM Jelly Bean updates, as it is almost certain that official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update may not see light of day on this phone. Owing to industrious efforts of XDA Developers member, johnhany97, Galaxy S2 users can now enjoy a hybrid ROM based on the two popular custom ROMs: AOKP and CyanogenMod 10 (CM10).
The Revolt JB ROM brings a host of new features including fully working maps, options to reboot into Download Mode, OTA Update Centre app, and so on. On the downside, certain features like the stock or OTA updates from Samsung may no longer work with this custom ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The Android 4.1.2 Revolt JB ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the Galaxy S2 I9100 model and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings to avoid loss of data while flashing the Revolt JB ROM on your Galaxy S2.
- Ensure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it before proceeding with the Revolt JB ROM installation process.
- Download ReVolt JB 2.6 ROM
a) Mirror 1
b) Mirror 2
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference and educational purposes only and will not support any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Revolt JB ROM on your Galaxy S2. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Revolt JB ROM Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1: Copy the downloaded ReVolt JB 2.6 zip file to the root folder on your phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Power off your Galaxy S2 device.
Step 3: Press and hold down Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the phone boots into CWM Recovery.
NOTE: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in CWM Recovery.
Step 4: Do a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM by selecting Backup and Restore and then tapping Backup.
Step 5: Return to main menu and perform a full data wipe:
- Click Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Tap Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and hit Advanced. Now, choose Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 6: Go Back to the main menu and click Install ZIP from SD card.
Step 7: Tap Choose ZIP from SD card, then browse and select the ROM ZIP file. You should then confirm the installation on next screen.
Step 8: Go back to the main menu and hit Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
The Revolt JB 2.6 ROM based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
[Source: Android Authority]