HTC One S that comes with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out-of-the box can now be upgraded to Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) with the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) custom ROM. The ROM build is based on the Jelly Bean and comes with several custom tweaks and features.
The ROM is still under development and might contain bugs or issues which are expected to be fixed as the development progresses.
Those who wish to install this ROM can check this tutorial. IBTimes UK cautions it readers it will not be held responsible for any consequences during installation.
- Enable USB debugging
- Ensure the device has at least 80 percent battery charge
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked
- Ensure the device is rooted and has CWM recovery installed
To install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 ROM on HTC One S:
- Connect the device to the PC and copy downloaded files to the SD card
- Unplug the device and turn the device off
- Boot into Recovery mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons to boot the device into HBOOT menu)
- Make a Nandroid back-up of existing ROM (to do so, choose Backup and Restore > Backup and then return to main Recovery menu)
- Perform a data wipe (to do so, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then select Yes to confirm the action). Wait until data wipe is completed and return to main Recovery menu
- Choose Install Zip from SD Card and then select Choose Zip from SD Card. Now, browse to the zip file and select it by pressing Power key. Confirm installation by tapping Yes. ROM will begin installing
- Repeat this step but this time select Google Apps package zip file
- Go back to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now to reboot the device and boot into ROM
You have now installed Jelly Bean based CM 10.1 ROM on HTC one S.