Like other Nexus devices, Google has also confirmed the latest Android 4.4 Kitkat official update for the Nexus 10. With build version KRT16O, the Android 4.4 is available as Over-The-Air (OTA) update for the 10in Nexus tablet. The new Android KitKat with several features and improvements is a major update over its previous Android version.
Those who cannot wait for the official OTA to reach their region and wish to update the Nexus 10 manually with Android 4.4 KitKat, may follow our step-by-step guide below. Below are two methods to update; for rooted and non-rooted. Users may follow either of the methods according to the root status of the device.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Before installing the official build, users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 10 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP, then backup data using recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Nexus 10 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The Nexus 10 should be on Android 4.3 JWR66Y (previous official update), which is not rooted and has stock recovery. Do not proceed if the device does not have Android 4.3 JWR66Y installed.
6) This Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat build is compatible only with the Nexus 10. As flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus 10 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet.
Steps to install Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat official update on Nexus 10 [for non-rooted]
Step-1: Download official Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat for Nexus 10 to computer. Rename the downloaded file to update.zip
Step-2: Connect and mount the Nexus 10 USB memory on the computer using USB cable
Step-3: Copy the update.zip file to the SD card of the tablet. The file should be in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Power off the Nexus 10. Then enter into Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and Start appears on the screen
Step-5: Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button for several times until RECOVERY is seen. Press the Power button to select it
Step-6: An exclamation mark will appear now. Hold Volume Up and Power buttons together again. The Recovery mode menu should appear
Step-7: Select update from zip file. Now select update.zip file using Power button and confirm the installation
Step-8: After the flashing is completed, the tablet will boot and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time
The Nexus 10 should now be upgraded to Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new software version of the device.
1) The Nexus 10 should have ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed. Click here for our step-by-step guide to root and install CWM recovery on Nexus 10.
2) Do not proceed if the tablet does not have Android 4.2 JOP40C installed.
3) Make a Nandroid backup of the previous tablet set up before proceeding.
Steps to install Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat official OTA on Nexus 10 [for rooted]
Step-1: Download Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat OTA updatefor Nexus 10 on the computer
Step-2: Connect the Nexus 10 to computer using USB cable
Step-3: Transfer the downloaded Android 4.4 firmware zip to the SD card of the tablet. Ensure the file is in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Switch off the Nexus 10. Enter into Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and Start is seen on the screen
Step-5: Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button several times until the RECOVERY is seen and press Power button to select it
Step-6: In CWM recovery, scroll down to flash zip from sdcard and select it using Power button. Press the Power button again to select choose zip from sdcard
Note: Users might have to turn off signature verification from the toggle signature verification option.
Step-7: Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4 firmware zip file and select it using the Power button. Confirm installation on the next screen
Step-8: After the flashing process is completed, go to '+++++Go Back +++++' and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now from the Recovery menu. The tablet will boot now and it would take about five minutes to boot for the first time
The 10 should now be running on official Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat software. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new firmware version of the device.
[Source: Team Android]