Google's 10in Nexus branding tablet has also received the latest Android 4.4 KitKat OTA update with base firmware KRT16S. The new software is a bug-fix update, which comes after the release of Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat.
Users can download the official firmware from the OTA updates feature on the tablet or wait to get a notification automatically that the update is ready to be installed.
For those who wish to install the update manually on their Nexus 10, may follow our step-by-step guide. Below are two methods to install Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat: for rooted and non-rooted. Users can follow either of the methods according to the root status of the Nexus tablet.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official build, users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 10 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Nexus 10 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The Nexus 10 should be on Android 4.4 KRT16O (previous official update), which is not rooted and has stock recovery.
6) Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat build is compatible only with Nexus 10. As flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus 10 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet.
Steps to install Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat official OTA update on Nexus 10 [for non-rooted]
Step-1: Download official Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat for Nexus 10 to computer. Rename the downloaded file to update.zip
Step-2: Connect and mount the Nexus 10 USB memory on the computer using USB cable
Step-3: Copy update.zip to the SD card of the tablet. The file should be in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Power off the Nexus 10. Then enter into Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and Start appears on the screen
Step-5: Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button for several times until RECOVERY is seen. Press the Power button to select it
Step-6: An exclamation mark will appear now. Hold Volume Up and Power buttons together again. The Recovery mode menu should appear
Step-7: Select update from zip file then select update.zip using the Power button and confirm installation
Step-8: After the flashing is completed, the tablet will boot and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time
The Nexus 10 should now be upgraded to Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About tablet to verify the software version of the device.
1) The Nexus 10 should have ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed. Click here for our step-by-step guide to root and install CWM recovery on Nexus 10.
2) Do not proceed if the tablet does not have Android 4.4 KRT16O installed.
3) Make a Nandroid backup of the previous tablet set up before proceeding.
Steps to install Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat official OTA update on Nexus 10 [for rooted]
Step-1: Download Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat OTA updatefor Nexus 10 to the computer
Step-2: Connect the Nexus 10 to computer using USB cable
Step-3: Copy the downloaded Android 4.4 zip to the SD card of the tablet. Ensure the file is in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Switch off the Nexus 10. Enter into Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and Start is seen on the screen
Step-5: Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button several times until the RECOVERY is seen and press Power button to select it
Step-6: In CWM recovery, scroll down to flash zip from sdcard and select it using Power button. Press the Power button again to select choose zip from sdcard
Note: Users might have to turn off signature verification from the toggle signature verification option.
Step-7: Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4 firmware zip file and select it using the Power button. Confirm installation on the next screen
Step-8: When the flashing is completed, go to '+++++Go Back +++++' and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now from the Recovery menu. The tablet will boot now and it would take about five minutes to boot for the first time
The new Android 4.4 KRT16S KitKat update should now be installed and running on the Nexus 10. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the firmware version of the device.
[Source: Team Android]