Ankara bombing Isis
Family members and friends carry a coffin of a victim of Saturday's bomb blasts, during a funeral in Istanbul, TurkeyOsman Orsal/Reuters

Islamic State (Isis) has emerged as the prime suspect in the Ankara twin bombing incident, which killed nearly 100 people, Turkish authorities have confirmed. However, no group has officially claimed responsibility for the attack.

Turkish officials are carrying out DNA tests on relatives of the suspects, believed to have joined the ranks of Isis. The government, has also hit back at protesters, who claimed that the Ankara administration was behind the blasts.

"If you consider the way the attack happened and the general trend of it, we have identified Islamic State as the primary focus," Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told NTV during a live interview. He added: "It was definitely a suicide bombing. DNA tests are being conducted. It was determined how the suicide bombers got there. We're close to a name, which points to one group."

Top security sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, told media outlets that preliminary reports pointed fingers at the Isis. Davutoglu, nevertheless, pledged: "This attack will not turn Turkey into a Syria."

Around 97 people were killed in the attack, which targeted a peace rally, and post-mortems have been conducted on all the bodies. So far, DNA samples of the victims have not matched any police criminal records. The blasts bear hallmarks of earlier IS suicide bombings, while the extremist group Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), another suspect, hardly engages in such attacks.

The twin explosions, the worst such attack in Turkey, occurred when the country was gearing up for snap elections on 1 November. Political parties have traded barbs over the attack, calling the bombing as politically-motivated, given its timing.