(Photo: Samsung )
The AOKP ROM is the third Jelly Bean based ROM for the international model of Galaxy S3 (i9300).
The list of Android devices receiving the Jelly Bean port is swelling everyday with developers frenetically crafting new custom ROMs, as if to undermine the official release of the update for premium smartphone devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S3. The South Korean giant's flagship smartphone is expected to get the official Jelly Bean update in September. The AOKP ROM is the third Jelly Bean based ROM for the international model of Galaxy S3 (i9300).
Thanks to XDA recognised developer Faryaab, the AOKP ROM based Android 4.1 update is now available for the S3 unofficially. The ROM brings exciting features such as full-fledged customisation options with enhanced interface performance, owing to Project Butter technology incorporated in the Jelly Bean update. As a result, users are expected to experience smoother interface, highly enhanced notifications, advanced voice recognition assistant, offline voice typing and many such improvements.
- This custom ROM is found to support only the Galaxy S3 i9300 model and will not work with any other device. Users are advised to check their device model number through Settings > About Phone and confirm the device compatibility.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS and APNs) to avoid the risk of losing data during the Jelly Bean update process.
- Please ensure that ClockworkMod Recovery is preinstalled before proceeding with the AOKP based Jelly Bean ROM installation.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install AOKP based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 i9300 [Courtesy: The Android Soul]
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
How to Install AOKP Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300
1. Download the updated version of the AOKP ROM from the XDA Developers official thread.
2. Download the Google Apps package here.
3. Without actually extracting the files, copy the downloaded zip files directly to the internal SD card.
4. Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by performing a button sequence. First, switch off the power of your phone. Press and hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the display comes up, then let them go.
5. The phone should boot into ClockworkMod recovery in just a few seconds. Within the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to navigate up/down and the home button to select an option.
6. Select wipe data/factory reset, then tap Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the device data is completely wiped.
7. Now, select install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse to locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM should begin installing.
8. After ROM is installed, select choose zip from sdcard again, then tap the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. Once the Gapps package installs, select go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP ROM. Initial boot will take up to 5 to 7 minutes and subsequent boots will be faster.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300.
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader