Google Nexus 7 gets a further boost to its amazing Jelly Bean platform, thanks to the Android developers for unleashing a flurry of custom ROMs to get the purest Android experience besides various performance improvements under the hood.
Google Nexus 7 gets a further boost to its amazing Jelly Bean platform, thanks to Android developers for unleashing a flurry of custom ROMs to get the purest Android experience besides various performance improvements under the hood. Nexus 7, being the first Jelly Bean tablet from Google, has risen in popularity and demand, owing to its low price and high-performance hardware configuration.
With due credit to Android developer Peter Alfonso, Nexus 7 gets the Bugless Beast ROM. This ROM is also based on the stock Android 4.1.1 update with performance optimised features such as reduced boot-up time, raised audio output level, free tethering enabled (for CDMA variants), improved scrolling cache and fix for visual bug in EDGE network icons.
Check out the complete changelog below:
- Common: Reduce boot up time
- Common: Improve scrolling cache
- Common: Restrict system packages to protected storage
- Common: Hide "System updates" category
- Common: Expose build date in "About" screen
- Common: Add reboot options to power menu
- Common: Use 4G icons on HSPA+ networks
- Common: Fix visual bug in EDGE network icons
- Common: Don't let apps disable SIM PIN entry screen
- Common: Passing APP_DATA to voice intent
- Toro: Enable free tethering
- Toro: Raise output audio level
- Maguro: Raise output audio level
- Toro/Maguro: Remove bug report from user builds
- The ROM and the instructions provided in the guide are limited to the Asus Nexus 7 tablet only. It will not work with any other device and users are advised against performing this update on incompatible devices to avoid damage to hardware.
- IBTimes UK advises users to perform a backup of important data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS and APNs) to avoid risk of losing data while installing the ROM update.
- It is mandatory to unlock the bootloader and install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 tablet, before you proceed with the Bugless Beast ROM installation for Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Users could follow our step-by-step guide to unlock bootloader and install ClockworkMod recovery for Nexus 7 posted here.
How to Install AOSP Based Jelly Bean Update for Nexus 7 [Courtesy: The Android Soul]
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from XDA Developers official thread.
2. Copy the downloaded zip file directly to the SD card on the tablet. You should not try extracting this file.
3. Switch off the power of the tablet and then, boot into recovery. To accomplish this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM recovery.
4. Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something fails to work with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, choose Backup again. Once backup is done, return to main recovery menu (If using TWRP recovery, select Backup, then slide the blue button to the right to confirm backup)
5. Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm (or select Wipe » Factory reset if using TWRP recovery then go back to main recovery menu). You should wait a while until the data wipe completes.
6. Now, select install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse to locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen (for TWRP recovery, select Install, then select the ROM file). The ROM should begin installing.
7. Once installation completes, return to the main recovery menu and tap reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into Bugless Beast ROM (or press the Reboot system button in TWRP recovery). Booting for the first time is time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
NOTE: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 3), select backup and restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list (or if using TWRP recovery, select Restore, then select the backup from the list).
Bugless Beast ROM is now installed and you are all set to enjoy the rich flavour of Jelly Bean goodness on your Nexus 7.
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader