Sony has begun a roll out of Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) updates for the Xperia P. The availability of the update may depend on carrier and specific markets but users can access and install the software through either the PC or the Mac. In addition, Sony has promised ICS updates for the Xperia U, Xperia Sola and Xperia Go.
Xperia P can be now updated to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
The update adds a number of apps, including the Walkman, and enhanced features such as an extended standby mode (standby time increases up to four times), an improved lock screen, re-sizable widgets, and improved control over mobile data consumption. The update is also largely similar to that for the Xperia S.
The Xperia P shipped with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). It has a 4in 540 x 960 pixels display with a pixel density of 275 pixels per inch (ppi). The device has an eight megapixel rear-facing camera, a NovaThor U8500 dual-core processor with Cortex-A9 and Mali-400MP graphics unit and Near Field Communications (NFC) capability.
Steps to Install ICS Update for Xperia P Using Web Browser
- Navigate to Sony Mobile.com, click Software and then the Xperia P tab.
- Check for updates and download selected file (depending on browser settings, you may need to provide additional access)
- Connect Xperia P to either PC or Mac. The Xperia update identifies the phone and searches for new software
- Once software is located, a release note with information about the software will be provided. Click Update to start the process and remember to keep the phone connected to the computer while the software is processed
- Upon completion, disconnect Xperia P from computer. Localised updating, on the phone, may take an additional few minutes, after which the device will reboot
- The update has been installed and the Xperia P is ready for use
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
Steps to Download and Install Update for Xperia P
XDA developers, who released the ICS firmware, have confirmed it is generic and suitable for Xperia P devices from across Europe and no unlocking of bootloader is required. IBTimes UK recommends users back-up all important data before proceeding, ensure proper drivers have been installed and battery is fully charged.
- Download and install Flashtool on the computer
- Download ICS firmware (from here or here) and extract .zip file
- Copy ICS firmware to Firmware folder inside Flashtool
- Flashtool will now ask to connect to Xperia P. Turn off device and connect via USB cable
- Once Xperia P is detected, Flashtool will start flashing firmware.
- Disconnect Xperia P only after installation is complete and re-start device to boot into ICS
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader