Google’s flagship tablet - Nexus 7 - gets its first official MIUI ROM based Jelly Bean update at the second anniversary of MIUI Photo: Google
Google's flagship tablet Nexus 7 has received its first official MIUI ROM based Jelly Bean update on the second anniversary of MIUI, thanks to the team and community of MIUI Android. Sporting a fresh and vigorous look with its interface design, the official MIUI ROM provides a unique experience to users in contrast to other custom ROMs for Jelly Bean update.
The ROM also ports a rich feature set including integrated themes support (with access to hundreds of fan-made themes), privacy and security features, call optimisation and SMS features, and so on. Discerning users craving for a break from the regular custom ROMs could embrace the MIUI ROM for a welcome change. This is a very stable release considering that the ROM is an official version. It may harbour a few minor bugs though, as it is not the final release.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Google Nexus 7 tablet only and will not work with any other device. It must be noted that attempting to install this ROM on incompatible devices may lead to irreparable damage to the device.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to unlock the bootloader and install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on your Nexus 7 tablet, before trying to install the MIUI ROM on it.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official MIUI ROM Based Jelly Bean Update on Google Nexus 7
1. Download the latest version of the official MIUI ROM from here. Look for the "grouper" version of MIUI under the 4.1.x heading and download it (see screenshot below):
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip file in step 1 to the SD card on the tablet.
3. Power off the tablet and boot into recovery through a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM recovery.
4. Do a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that if something fails to work with the new ROM, you could always revert back to your earlier ROM from recovery. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, tap Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
5. Tap wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes to confirm on next screen. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
6. Choose install zip from sdcard, and then tap choose zip from sdcard. Locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by choosing Yes on the next screen. The ROM should begin installing.
7. After the ROM is installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap reboot system now to boot up into MIUI ROM. The first boot is time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
NOTE: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 3), hit backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
MIUI ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Nexus 7.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader