Update Galaxy Nexus i9250 to Official Jelly Bean with AOKP ROM [How to Install] Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 gets its first official Jelly Bean update with AOKP ROM, thanks to Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Android developers’ industrious efforts Photo: AOKP
Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 gets its first official Jelly Bean update with AOKP ROM, thanks to Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Android developers' industrious efforts. Although, the previous ROM was also official, the current ROM is the first stable public release with highly customised features and ultra-fast performance for the ultimate Android experience to the user.
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international GSM Galaxy Nexus i9250 model only and will not work with Verizon/Sprint variants or any other device. You may verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data, apps and settings to prevent data loss while installing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update via AOKP ROM.
- It is mandatory to unlock bootloader and install either ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery before attempting to install the Jelly Bean update with the AOKP ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install AOKP Based Official Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Nexus i9250
1. Download the latest version of the AOKP ROM for Galaxy Nexus i9250 from the AOKP official downloads page. Make sure that you download the "maguro" version of the ROM for Galaxy Nexus phone.
2. Download the Google Apps package from here.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
3. Without extracting, copy the two downloaded zip files in step 1 and 2 to the phone.
4. Power off the phone and boot into TWRP or CWM recovery by performing a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen powers on. Then, navigate using the volume buttons and select the Recovery mode option using the Power button. Now, the phone should reboot into recovery.
5. Now, choose Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your existing ROM, so that you can restore it later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. Once backup is done, return to the main menu by tapping the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
6. Hit Wipe, then choose Factory Reset, and then finally confirm the data wipe. This procedure will not wipe your internal SD card's contents, so you may leave it alone. Now, return to the main menu by hitting the home button after wipe process completes.
7. Tap Install, then locate the ROM file you downloaded in step 1 above. Then, Confirm installation to flash it.
8. After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7, but now choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to flash the Google apps package. Confirm again to flash the Gapps successfully.
9. Once Google apps is installed, tap the Reboot system button to boot up the phone into AOKP ROM. First boot is time consuming and may take about 5 to 7 minutes.
NOTE: Restoring Previous ROM. In case you want to return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Restore, and then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
The official AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and you are all set to enjoy the Jelly Bean goodness on your Galaxy Nexus i9250.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader