Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 gets yet another custom ROM - SlimBean - for Jelly Bean, which is known for its ultra-lightweight package comprising all the features available with the latest version of Jelly Bean OS (Android 4.1)
Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 gets yet another custom ROM - SlimBean, which is known for its ultra-lightweight package comprising all the features available with the latest version of Jelly Bean OS (Android 4.1). It includes advanced features such as smoother and faster interface, enhanced and highly customised notifications, smart offline voice typing, etc. Despite the feature-rich package, the update weighs a mere 80MB.
The update may contain a few bugs, as the ROM is still under development. And since it is not Samsung's official Jelly Bean ROM, some of its native features may be broken or unavailable. Besides, certain apps like camera and contacts will function differently from the official stock ROM.
- The ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international Galaxy S2 i9100 only and will not work with i9100G or any other device. You may verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data including apps, data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update. Note: APN settings are required for the mobile data to work correctly. These settings can be noted by navigating to Settings > More > Mobile Networks and then choosing APN in use.
- It is mandatory to install the AOSP Jelly Bean JRO03H ROM on your phone before installing the SlimBean update. If your phone already ports a Jelly Bean custom ROM, then you could skip this step.
- The procedure in this guide is meant for reference purpose only and does not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install SlimBean Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 i9100
Step 1: Download Slim Bean ROM, which comprises the following files:
- Download i9100.zip from here
- Download Common_2.*.zip from here(where * = the latest version number)
Step 2: Without extracting, copy both the downloaded files to the internal SD card.
Step 3: Power off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery by performing a button sequence. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen powers on and then the phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to navigate up/down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
Step 4: Hit wipe data/factory reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
Step 5: Choose mounts and storage, and then tap format /system to format the system partition. Now, click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then, return to the main recovery menu.
Step 6: Choose install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Locate the i9100.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
Step 7: Important: If the i9100.zip file installation finishes too quickly, in under 5 seconds, repeat step 6 before proceeding to the next step.
Step 8: After ROM is completely installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose theCommon_2.*.zip file. Confirm installation on next screen.
Step 9: After the Common 2 package is installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap reboot system now to boot up into Slim Bean ROM. The first boot is usually time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
Installing ROM Addons
To install additional features such as Google Now (the voice recognition based Google Search app which also provides automatic info like weather, traffic info etc.) or the Face Unlock feature, do the following steps after Slim Bean ROM is installed and booted up.
Step 1: Download Google Now and Face Unlock package from here.
Step 2: Copy the downloaded files to the internal SD card.
Step 3: Power off the phone, and then boot into ClockworkMod recovery (repeat step 3 of main guide).
Step 4: Choose install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Locate to the Google Now file on the SD card and select it. Then click Yes on the next screen to confirm installation
Step 5: Similarly, repeat step 4 to install the Face Unlock file if you want to install the face unlock feature.
Step 6: Then, return to main recovery menu and reboot the phone. Once it boots up, you'll be able to use Google Now and Face Unlock features on your phone.
SlimBean ROM based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S2.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader