HTC Incredible S is one of the lucky few smartphones to get two Android 4.1 Jelly Bean custom ROMs - first Codename Android and then AOKP - on the same day Photo: XDA Developers
HTC Incredible S is one of the lucky few smartphones to get two Android 4.1 Jelly Bean custom ROMs - first Codename Android and then AOKP - on the same day. Flaunting an interface similar to Codename Android, AOKP provides a fast stock Android 4.1 experience besides a slew of customisation features: changing interface settings, addition of latest Jelly Bean features including butter smooth interface, enhanced and highly customised notifications, personalised search engine for Google Now coupled with voice recognition, offline voice typing, smart keyboard, faster browser and so on.
As the AOKP ROM is not an official release and undergoing further development, it may still harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. Certain native features found on the stock ROM may not work as intended on this custom ROM, although most of these bugs should be fixed with further updates.
Thanks to XDA recognised developer - nikhil007mmus, the AOKP ROM for HTC Incredible S gets a spate of new features that should quench the thirst of Android power users.
What New Features You Will Get
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
- Android 4.1.1
- CM10 Kernel
- Superuser & Busybox preinstalled
- Built in performance/init.d configuration
- Advance Power Menu
- Brightness Slider On Status Bar - Yes Its In There
- Quiet hours
- AOKP Wallpapers
- Mute Camera Sounds
- AOKP Statistics
- Battery Bar
- Expandable Volume Panel
- LED Options
- Clock Location: Right, Center, Disable
- Battery Icon: CircleMod, Bar, Text Only, Icon Only, Icon+Text or None
- Toggles: Auto rotate, Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, Aiplane mode, Vibrate, Silent, Sync, Data, 4G, Tethering, Torch, Brightness
Complete List of Known Bugs and Issues
- Camera is buggy, front camera closes unexpectedly
- LED (Only Charging)
- Wifi Hotspot
- Call volume is very low or non-existent (workaround is to use headphones or loudspeaker)
- Wrong colour for notifications (orange not green)
- MMS does not work (for some carriers)
- Wi-Fi is buggy for some
- Data sometimes won't activate when enabled (Re-enter your APN settings manually may fix issue)
- Radio Strength in general is lower and slower
- YouTube/Video playback reboots phone
- Gallery is buggy
Key Points to Note
- The instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the HTC Incredible S model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model name by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, critical data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to ensure that your phone is S-off with ClockworkMod installed on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP based Android 4.1 update.
How to Install AOKP Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC Incredible S
Step 1: Download the latest version of the AOKP ROM based Jelly Bean update from XDA Developers official thread posted here.
Step 2: Download the Google Apps (GApps) package from here: Download Gapps
Step 3: Without extracting, Copy the ROM and GApps zip files to the SD card.
Step 4: Power off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until the device boots into bootloader/HBOOT mode. Finally, use the volume keys to select the Recovery option and then hit the power button to boot into CWM recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select a specific option.
Step 5: Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, which helps you restore original ROM from recovery if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, click Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
Step 6: Click wipe data/factory reset, then tap Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
Step 7: Choose install zip from sdcard and then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and select the ROM file on the SD card and confirm its installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM should now begin installing.
Step 8: Once ROM is completely installed, click choose zip from sdcard again, then tap on the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
Step 9: After GApps is installed, choose go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot is time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
NOTE: If you want to return to your original ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed on your Incredible S.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader