Samsung Galaxy S3 owners are in for a double treat as industrious Android developers have unleashed two leaked official ROMs for the smartphone users. Earlier, we saw the XXDLI6 leaked ROM and XXDLI7 is the latest to join the Jelly Bean party for S3, which is available as an OTA update.
XXDLI7 ROM can be installed through your stock recovery on Galaxy S3 using ODIN. It does not require extensive procedures like rooting or ClockworkMod recovery to work.
Here are the complete firmware details of i9300XXDLI7 ROM:
Base Firmware: I9300XXDLI7 (4.1.1)
Country: United Kingdom
Build Date: 14th September 2012
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are only applicable for the international version Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 model and will not work with any other model or device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- As this is an official Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 i9300, you will lose root access on your phone soon after you install this update. You can regain the full system access by rooting your phone once again.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Make sure that you have installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy S3 device needed to connect with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android phone to the computer.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected battery shutdown while flashing the ROM or installing updates.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked before you proceed.
How to Install XXBLG8 Base Firmware for Android 4.0.4 ICS on Galaxy S3 i9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 I9300XXBLG8 base firmware for Galaxy S3 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 ICS on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and enter Download Mode with a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. Press Power button again to confirm and progress into Download Mode.
Step 5 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to your computer while your phone is still in the Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will show yellow indicator with the corresponding COM port number. This step is time consuming, so leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now choose the files you want to flash/install on your phone. These files are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA button and choose file named 'CODE'.
- Click Phone button and select file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click CSC and tap file with 'CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on PIT and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you selected a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now hit Start button in ODIN. Installation process will now begin, which may take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - After ODIN is installed, your phone will restart. When you see the home screen, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S 3 is now successfully updated to Android 4.0.4 build XXBLG8 software update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
How to Install XXDLI7 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S3 i9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 XXDLI7 for Galaxy S III to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S3 USB storage on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the downloaded XXDLI7 OTA zip file to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot into recovery mode with a button sequence. Power on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - In recovery, use volume keys to navigate and highlight apply update from SD card. Finally, press the Power button to perform the update.
Step 7 - Press the power button again and tap choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Now using the volume keys, navigate to the XXDLI7 OTA zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the power button. Confirm its installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
Step 9 - After the ROM is installed, hit go back and reboot the phone by clicking reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now. First boot is time consuming and it might take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
XXDLI7 based Android 4.1.1 OTA Jelly Bean firmware is now installed on your Galaxy S3 i9300. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the same.
[Source: Team Android]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader