The Internet has gone rabid after images of Kate Middleton sunbathing topless with Prince William surfaced on the cover of French magazine Closer. But ironically, the Duchess and Duke of Cambridge received a topless greeting while they were visiting the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific on Sunday.
Kate Middleton and Prince William in the Solomon Islands
(Click here to see the topless photo of the girls welcoming the royal couple.)
Upon arriving at the Solomon Islands, they were embraced by natives wearing only traditional grass skirts from the waist down, and necklaces that didn't cover much of their tops, the New York Daily News reported.
Like us on Facebook
Prince William and Kate Middleton visited the island country as part of their Asia-Pacific tour in honor of the queen's Diamond Jubilee.
In an image by photographer James Whatling, Middleton is shown covering her mouth as one of the girls puts a necklace around the neck of the future queen.
She must have been amused the situation, since it looks like she was laughing and trying to hide her giggles.
It's an ironic twist, especially concerning the events that happened earlier in the week. The editor of Closer, Laurence Pieau, said in an interview with the Guardian that she has more "intimate" pictures of the couple, inviting salacious inferences.
The royals had said they were going to sue Closer and officially followed through with their threat on Monday, the Daily News said.
"We can confirm that a criminal complaint has been made to the French Prosecution Department today," a Clarence House spokesman said, according to People magazine. "The complaint concerns the taking of photographs of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge whilst on holiday and the publication of those photographs in breach of their privacy."
Though Closer was the first to publish the photos, they were not the only tabloid to do so. Italian celebrity magazine Chi also ran photos of the Duchess with the headline, "The Queen is Naked."
"Since Kate is not exactly Alice in Wonderland, she should have expected this," Chi editor Alfonso Signorini reportedly told the Milan newspaper Corriere della Sera on Monday. "If I had had more scandalous photos I would have willingly published them."