Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean goes slim. Photo: Google
Galaxy S3 i9300 owners are in for a double treat, as the handset receives a lightweight version of stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, following the recent release of official OTA update based on XXDLI5 ROM. The lightweight version, also called as Slim Bean 2.4, offers minimal features and basic functions necessary to run Jelly Bean on your phone.
Slim Bean-based Jelly Bean update is light on resource consumption, and delivers slick and smooth performance on your handset. That should save you the trouble if storage space is a big constraint on your phone.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S3 i9300 model. It will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Slim Bean 2.4 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- It must be noted that your phone will not be detected by Samsung KIES software after installing this ROM, as it is an unofficial custom ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that the phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while installing the Slim Bean 2.4 based Jelly Bean firmware update.
- Verify that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and rooted. Also ensure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on the handset before proceeding with the ROM installation procedure.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
How to Install Slim Bean 2.4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly bean Update on Galaxy S3 i9300
Step 1 - Download Slim Bean 2.4 Android 4.1.1 ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S3 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S3 mass storage on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy/paste the downloaded Slim Bean ROM zip and Google Apps files to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device powers up and boots into recovery mode.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to flash zip from SD card option and press the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Press the Power button again and tap choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate and select the Slim Bean ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card. Then press the Power button to activate ROM installation process. Confirm the installation on next screen and the ROM installation will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by clicking reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone should now restart and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
Slim Bean 2.4 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM is successfully installed on your phone. Go to Settings > About phone to confirm the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader