Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM
Many Android devices have received the latest Android 4.2.1 update via custom ROM Jelly Bean firmware, while a select few can now access improved Jelly Bean features with due credit to the release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM.
The CM10.1 ROM reportedly ports the best customisable interface of all available custom ROM Jelly Bean firmware. The ROM includes a plethora of exciting features that are unavailable in the stock ROM.
Some of the notable Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean features include multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
As the CM10.1 ROM is an unofficial build which is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. On the brighter side, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates. The instructions below are for installation on the Galaxy Note 2 N7100.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
The CM10.1 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if you damage or brick your device in the process of installing this update and users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that your phone battery has at least 80 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the CM10.1 custom ROM on the Galaxy Note 2.
- Make sure that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Note 2 N7100 in your computer.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while installing the CM10.1 ROM based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware on the Galaxy Note
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone by navigating to Settings > Application > Development options.
- Ensure that your device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it. Also, make sure that your device is running on stock CM kernel before you proceed with the ROM installation.
- Users should note that flashing the CM10.1 ROM on the Galaxy Note will increase its binary counter, and thereby void the warranty on the device.
Download Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy Note 2 N7100
Download Google Apps
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM
1. Connect your phone to the computer with the original USB cable.
2. Copy downloaded files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the phone's USB cable from the computer.
4. Switch off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. You Should now boot into ClockworkMod recovery screen. NOTE: Use Volume keys to browse between options and Power key to select an option in Recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can restore it later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe. To do so, click wipe data/factory reset and hit Yes on next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Choose install zip from sdcard and then click choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CM10.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by selecting Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose the GApps file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
9. Once Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into CM10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM. The first boot may take about 5 minutes, so leave it alone.
10. Restoring Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10.1 custom ROM based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100.
[Source: Android Jinn]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader