Galaxy S3 (I9300) users who have recently updated their device with the official I9300XXELLA Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware can now root the device using this guide. Rooting the device is essential for installing third-party root-based apps, custom ROM updates and making system tweaks.
Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXELLA Firmware with CF-Auto-Root
This guide uses the CF-Auto-Root tool and the flash utility Odin. Readers are advised to back-up important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss.
Note: Rooting the device will increase its binary flash counter and void its warranty. However, the warranty can be reclaimed by reinstalling the official firmware update.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held responsible if the device is damaged in the process.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
- The instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the international variant - Galaxy S3 (I9300) - model only; to confirm the model number, go to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure 80 percent battery charge
- Verify the correct USB drivers (for the Galaxy S3) have been installed on the computer (download from here)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development
- Download CF-Auto-Root for I9300XXELLA firmware
- Download Odin 3.07
To Root Galaxy S3 (I9300) on Official Android 4.1.2 XXELLA Firmware
- Extract contents of the CF-Auto-Root file to a folder on the Desktop (ensure a file with the .tar extension is available in that folder)
- Extract Odin to access Odin3 v3.07.exe
- Switch device off and wait for vibration (five to six seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown
- Re-start Galaxy S3 (I9300) in Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home while tapping Power. A message - Warning! - will appear. Then press Volume Down to enter Download mode
- Run Odin (as Administrator) and connect device to computer with USB cable (a successful connection is indicated by a message - Added - and an ID:COM port will turn yellow, with the corresponding port number)
- Note: If device is not recognised, re-attach USB cable to rear-side port. If device is still not recognised, re-install USB drivers
- In Odin, click PDA and choose CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5 file
- In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting checkboxes
- Click Start to begin installation
- After installation, a message - Pass - against a green background will be displayed by Odin, indicating successful flashing. The device will now automatically re-boot. Disconnect from computer only after Samsung logo appears on screen
The Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) has now been successfully rooted on the official I9300XXELLA Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader