Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 Official Jelly Bean Firmware
An earlier IBTimes UK report shared a step-by-step guide to update Galaxy S3 I9300 to the latest Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 official firmware. Those who have already updated their phone to the latest official firmware, can now root the device using CF-Auto-Root with ODIN flash tool by following this guide.
Rooting the device is essential to gain full system access for installing third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks for optimum device performance. To verify if the device is actually rooted or not, download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
NOTE: Once the device is rooted, its hardware warranty will be void. However, to restore the warranty status, just reinstall the official firmware update.
Key Points to Note
- XXEMA1 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone and ensure the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S3 on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- As the installation of this root package uses ODIN for flashing the device, custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP needs to be installed separately after the device is rooted.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after root installation. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 Official Jelly Bean Firmware
1. Extract CF-Auto-Root zip file to get a file with .tar extension in the extracted folder.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the smartphone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Place the Galaxy S3 I9300 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons, while simultaneously tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, hit Volume Down key to progress into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, since Admin privileges are required to complete the root flashing process.
6. Connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" appears in Odin's message box at the bottom left of screen. If the message fails to appear, try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of computer). If all else fails, then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message pops-up in Odin, just proceed to the next step. At this point, the COM port with a number turns Yellow if the device was added successfully.
7. Choose the following file in Odin using the respective button:
- Click the PDA button, and choose the CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5file.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options (by selecting the checkboxes).
9. Verify everything in step 7 and step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the root package is flashed completely, the smartphone will reboot automatically and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 official Jelly Bean firmware. It is now possible to install apps that require root permission.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader