Galaxy Note 2 N7100 users can now rejoice over the release of latest official Jelly Bean firmware - Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 - from Samsung. The new firmware is just a major bug-fix update that was released just a couple of days ago. It can now be downloaded manually either through Samsung KIES or using this guide.
The firmware is completely unbranded and can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy Note 2 (except China, Hong Kong and Taiwan). It requires the use of ODIN flash tool for installation.
Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 Official Firmware Details
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Key Points to Note
- XXDMA5 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone to prevent data loss during firmware installation. It is recommended to backup data using one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM Manager for data backup, as it may cause hardware damage or permanently brick the device.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Note 2 on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled by navigating to Settings > Developer options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Ensure that the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the firmware. Just root the Galaxy Note 2 again to regain full system access for installing root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during the official firmware installation. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXDMA5 Official Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 N7100XXDMA5 official Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy Note 2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85, which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together and then simultaneously tap the Power button, till the Samsung logo or the red and yellow text appears on screen.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which may be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' button and select the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the 'Phone' button and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the 'CSC' button and choose the file named CSC'. Ignore this step it is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent..
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if a .PIT file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the official firmware is installed, the phone will reboot automatically. When the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is now updated to Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader