As the NFL's Super Bowl on Sunday draws closer, viewers may be focused on the little things like planning where to watch or, you know, which team is going to win, a preoccupation of sites such as BleacherReport.com.
But what fans should really be thinking about is how to combat the dreaded postgame hangover.
Here are seven surefire ways to lessen your misery.
1. As any responsible drinker will tell you, water is one of the most reliable -- and readily available -- ways to relieve your hangover. To avoid getting dehydrated after a long day of drinking, attempt to guzzle down 16 to 20 ounces of H2O before you doze off. And don’t stop there: The next time you hit the bar, ask for a glass of water each time you order another beer. Alternating between water and alcohol will help replenish your fluids and reduce the risk of reliving your agony the next morning.
2. Although there are tons of hangover products on the market, few have been around as long as Alka-Seltzer. And the 82-year-old fizzy tablets have been used as makeshift hangover cures for almost all that time. They contain baking soda, which will help settle your stomach by neutralizing stomach acid.
3. In addition to the tried-and-true water trick, sports drinks such as Powerade, Gatorade, and even Coconut Water can also help speed up the recovery process by replacing lost electrolytes and sugars.
4. For those suffering from either cramping or headaches, pain relievers can offer a quick fix. According to Men’s Health, acceptable pain relievers include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory formulas such as aspirin and ibuprofen. However, hangover sufferers should stay away from acetaminophen -- the active drug in Tylenol -- which targets your already overworked liver. "While [acetaminophen is] OK for a headache, when combined with a liver that's working overtime to metabolize alcohol, it can cause liver damage or be deadly," Dena Davidson, a former associate professor of psychiatry at the Indiana University School of Medicine, told the publication.
5. When it comes down to it, that queasy feeling is best combated with good old-fashioned sleep. Most hangovers have lifespans of only between eight and 24 hours, anyway, which will fly by faster with a healthy dose of ZZZ’s.
7. When all else fails, a convincing doctor’s note will almost always do the trick. Alibi Network has a wide selection of printable doctor’s notes for every occasion.