Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Galaxy S3 I9300 users who have already updated their device to the latest official firmware - Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 - can now root their device using CF-Root with ODIN. Users should note that the rooting package used in this guide does not install any custom recovery tools like ClockworkMod (CWM), which needs to be installed separately.
CF-Root Package Details
CF-Root Package includes the following tools:
- SuperSU v0.93
- ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery v5.5
- CWM Manager v3.60
NOTE: It is important to ensure that the device is running Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 firmware before applying this root method. Else it may damage or brick the device. Please verify the firmware version installed by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
Key Points to Note
- CF-Root package and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers.
- Backup important data and settings before proceeding. It is recommended to use custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates the complete image of the phone setup. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 per cent battery charge.
- The instructions provided in this guide are applicable for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after rooting. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Step 1 - Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip for Galaxy S3 to the computer and extract it.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85, which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the device and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Now, choose the root package file that is needed to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Hit the 'PDA' button and choose the file CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. Leave all other options at their default values in ODIN.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot. When the home screen shows up, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 official firmware. Check for the Superuser app in the apps list to verify the rooting.
NOTE: Download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store to make sure if the device is successfully rooted.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader