Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 Gets Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA with XXUCMA8 Official Firmware
Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 users recently received the latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update from Samsung with due release of Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 official firmware. The firmware is now available for download and installation via Samsung KIES, as well as manually with this guide.
NOTE: Installation of this firmware makes use of ODIN flash tool, and hence custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP (not contained in the package) should be installed separately after flashing the firmware.
Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
NOTE: IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- XXUCMA8 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable tor the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number through Settings > About Tablet.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for your tablet on computer. Download Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 USB drivers.
- Back up your important data and settings on the device, preferably using on the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Galaxy Note by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if tablet is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the device is running Android 2.3.6 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- As this is an official release, you will lose root access to the device soon after installing the Jelly Bean firmware. You need to root the device once again to regain full system access and be able to reinstall third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
How to Update Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA with XXUCMA8 Official Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 N8010XXUCMA8 official firmware for Galaxy Note on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 official firmware on Samsung Galaxy Note N8010.
Step 3 - Power off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together, until the Samsung logo or the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. This confirms entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the Galaxy Note to it while the tablet is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If the tablet connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, take a break if needed.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on your tablet, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the Phone button and choose file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the CSC button and select file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you have chosen a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, your tablet will reboot. When the home screen boots up, just unplug the USB cable to disconnect your tablet from the computer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
Now that your Galaxy Note is updated to the latest Jelly Bean official firmware (Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8), it is imperative to root the device to regain Super User access for installing custom ROMs, latest system tweaks and root-based apps.
Here is the step-by-step guide to root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 on Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 Jelly Bean Official Firmware:
How to Root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 on Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware
Step 1 - Download Root Package CF-Auto-Root for your tablet to the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to root Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 official firmware on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010.
Step 3 - Power off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up button and then simultaneously tap Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your Galaxy Note to it while the tablet is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If your tablet connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Choose the file that needs to be flashed or installed on your tablet, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file CF-Auto-Root-p4notewifiww-p4notewifixx-gtn8010.zip.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
Step 8 - Then hit Start button in ODIN and the root installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the root installation is complete, the tablet will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically and install the root package or files. Your device's ID: COM box should now turn green.
Step 10 - When the home screen boots up on the tablet, just disconnect it from the computer.
1. Sometimes, if the device fails to boot into Recovery Mode automatically (as given in Step 9) and root your device, repeat the entire procedure.
2. If the device is still not rooted properly, then perform the entire tutorial once again. But, ensure that Auto Reboot option is NOT checked in ODIN. Then after installation (Step 9), do the following:
- Remove the battery (or keep holding the Power button) to turn off the tablet forcefully.
- Now boot or turn on your tablet by pressing Volume Down and Power buttons together to boot into Recovery Mode manually. This will initialise the root installation for your tablet once again.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA8 Jelly Bean official firmware. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify if rooting is successful.
[Source: Team Android - Install and Root]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader