Install Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300 [GUIDE]
Just a couple of days ago, Nexus devices such as Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus I9250 received the latest official Jelly Bean update via AOSP sources. Now, Galaxy S3 I9300 and HTC One X are the latest entrants to join the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean party. The former enjoys the new Jelly Bean features with due release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM, while the latter gets its share with the recently updated AOSP ROM.
NOTE: As this firmware is a nightly release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features leading to FC errors, boot loops or in the worst case the phone may fail to boot. Users are advised to reinstall the stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM to fix it (in case if such issues occur).
Key Points to Note
- CM10.1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S3 on computer (download USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone. It is recommended that you use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a backup with a complete image of your current phone setup. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager, as they lack flexible options for data backup and may cause issues with the newly installed firmware.
- Verify that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if your device is running Android 4.2 or later, do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Now, tap Build Number about seven times until the hidden Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then enable USB Debugging mode by selecting the checkbox.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Make sure that the phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Double check to confirm that Dalvik Cache Wipe is done before continuing from the Recovery Mode
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the firmware as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick your device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S3 I9300 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy S3 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.2.2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off your phone and unplug its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the phone boots into Recovery Mode.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to choose it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone and select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the CM10.1 ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Galaxy S3 is now running the latest Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide: HTC One X Gets Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update with AOSP ROM [How to Install]
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader