Followed by the success of AOKP Build 3, the AOKP team has now released Build 4 featuring the latest Android 4.2.2 for several Android running devices. The build does not bring new features and it carries the same features found in the previous version. The latest custom release is more of bug fixes and addresses all the bug issues found in the previous custom ROM.
AOKP Build 4 custom ROM is available for Nexus 7.
One such build is available for Google's 7in Nexus branded tablet. Although Google has already released the latest Jelly Bean update for Nexus 7, the AOKP ROM carries multiple customised features not found in the official version.
Nexus 7 users who wish to update their tablets with Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. The aforementioned Jelly Bean ROM works only on the Nexus 7 and flashing it on any other model may brick the device.
1) Install USB Drivers for Nexus 7 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Ensure that the tablet is rooted and ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
4) Create backup of all data of device.
5) Verify that the battery of Nexus 7 is having more than 80 per cent of charge.
6) If the device gets stuck on boot or experiences boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache a few more times before rebooting.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM on Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi/3G)
1) Download Android 4.2.2. AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean custom ROM for Nexus 7 to the computer
Download links- 3G Nexus 7/Wi-Fi Nexus 7 [For alternative link head over to the development page]
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Nexus 7 to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the device [Do not extract any files]
4) Unplug the USB cable from the tablet and turn it off
5) Now enter ClockworkMod recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen turns on
6) In CWM recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of the current ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work. Select Backup and Restore, then select Backup again on the next screen. Return to the recovery menu once the action is completed
7) Now perform data wiping task. Select Wipe data/Factory Reset and then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe is completed. Now, return to the CWM recovery menu and select Wipe cache partition. Once the wiping process is done, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Select 'Install zip from SD card' and then select 'Choose zip from SD card.' Navigate to the AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM zip file saved on the SD card. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
9) Once the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure to install the Google Apps file
10) After the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now' to reboot the tablet. The device will take some time to boot up for the first time
[Note: In order to return to the previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.]
The Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 custom ROM is now installed and running on Nexus 7. Navigate to Settings>> About Tablet to verify the software version of the device.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader