Followed by the official rollout of Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) for Nexus devices, recognised XDA developer, bajee11, has released the Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Jelly Bean ROM for several Android running devices. The custom build is based on Android 4.2.2 update and offers bloatware-free AOSP like experience with multiple customisations.
Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM released for galaxy S2 I9100G.
Vanilla RootBox v3.8 features
Per App DPI
Per App tablet user interface
Per App Language
OTA updates-Goo Manager
Navigation bar colour
Camera: save to external memory
Phone: Advanced phone settings
Phone: Noise suppression
MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
MMS: Fully customisable MMS theme
MMS: Soft keyboard type
Home button call answer (Accessibility option)
Variable size patter lockscreen
LCD density changer
Low battery warning
Option to control cursor in text fields using Volume buttons
Disable fullscreen keyboard
Hold back to kill
CRT Animation (Screen on/screen off)
Pie (Paranoid Android)
Lockscreen targets (CM)
Screen security features
Option to disable sound when adjusting Volume
Launch Music app on headset connection
Hardware keys remapping
Lockscreen hardware keys remapping
One such custom build is available for the international version of Galaxy S2 with model number I9100G. Galaxy S2 users who wish to install the Vanilla RootBox Android 4.2.2 ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their handsets before proceeding since the Jelly Bean ROM works only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G; flashing this firmware on any other variant is likely to brick the device. Users are also reminded that the ROM is in the development stage, therefore, bugs are likely.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Ensure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
4) Create back-up of all data of the phone.
5) Verify if the battery of the phone has more than 80 per cent of charge.
6) In case the device gets stuck on boot or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache a few more times before rebooting.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 Vanilla RootBox ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1) Download Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S2 to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of the phone [Note: Do not extract any files.]
4) Disconnect the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
5) Enter CWM recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears. Leave all three buttons for a few seconds and then hold them again. The device will be in CWM recovery soon
6) In recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore then select Backup again on the next screen. Once backup is completed, return to the main recovery menu
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe is completed and then return to CWM recovery. Select wipe cache partition and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Scroll down to 'Install zip from SD card' and select it using the Power button. Press the Power button again and select 'Choose zip from SD card,' then locate the Jelly Bean ROM zip file copied to the SD card. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
9) Once the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to install Google Apps zip file
10) After the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now' to reboot the device and boot up into customised Jelly Bean ROM. The device will take some time to boot up for the first time
[Note: In order to return to the previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.]
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G should now be updated and running on Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 ROM. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to check the software version of the device.
Click here for the step-by-step guide to install Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader