Samsung has recently released Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update for its second generation Galaxy S smartphone with build number I9100. The manufacturer is yet to provide details on the latest Android 4.2.2 upgrade.
Vanilla RootBox ROM v3.8 is available for Galaxy S2 I9100.
Meanwhile XDA developer, bajee11, has released Vanilla RootBox v3.8 custom build for the international version of Galaxy S2 allowing the users to upgrade their devices from Android 4.1.2 to the Android 4.2.2 ahead of official release.
As the developer claims, the Vanilla RootBox ROM is built from RootBox sources which carries a very light installation with no unnecessary apps. In addition to that, the ROM will enable users to enjoy 'pure Android experience combined with AOKP as well as CyanogenMod features.' But it should be noted the ROM is at the beginning stage of development, therefore, minor bugs are likely. Head over to the development page to learn more about the Vanilla RootBox ROM.
Vanilla RootBox v3.8 features
Per App DPI
Per App tablet user interface
Per App Language
OTA updates-Goo Manager
Navigation bar colour
Camera: save to external memory
Phone: Advanced phone settings
Phone: Noise suppression
MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
MMS: Fully customisable MMS theme
MMS: Soft keyboard type
Home button call answer (Accessibility option)
Variable size patter lockscreen
LCD density changer
Low battery warning
Option to control cursor in text fields using Volume keys
Disable fullscreen keyboard
Hold back to kill
CRT Animation (Screen on/screen off)
Pie (Paranoid Android)
Lockscreen targets (CM)
Screen security features
Option to disable sound when adjusting Volume
Launch Music app on headset connection
Hardware keys remapping
Lockscreen hardware keys remapping
Galaxy S2 users, who are looking to update their devices manually with Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. The aforementioned custom build works only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100; installing this on any other variant may brick the device.
1) Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Ensure that the USB Debugging Mode is enabled for easy transfer of files between computer and the phone. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all the data of the device.
4) The Galaxy S2 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) In case the device gets stuck or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache few more times before rebooting the device.
6) Verify that the phone should have above 80 per cent of charge.
Steps to install Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
1) Download Vanilla RootBox v3.8 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S2 to the computer [for alternative link click here]
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Plug in the USB cable to the phone to connect it with the computer. Then copy the download zip files to the SD card of the phone [Note: Do not extract any files.]
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
5) Enter into CWM recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo arrives on the screen. Now release all three buttons for a few seconds and hold them again. The CWM recovery should appear soon
6) In CWM recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new build does not work. To perform backup, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. Return to the main recovery menu once backup is completed
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset. Then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe is completed. Now return to the recovery menu, select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Now scroll down to 'Install zip from SD card' and select it by using the Power button. Once again press the Power button and select 'Choose zip from SD card' then locate the Jelly Bean ROM which is saved on the SD card. Select it by pressing by pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
9) Once the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure to install Google Apps file
10) Once the installation process is completed, return to the recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now' to reboot the phone and boot up into the customised Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot is likely to take some time, so be patient
[Note: In order to return to the previous ROM, boot the device into recovery mode, select backup and restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.]
The Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM featuring Android 4.2.2 should be now installed and running on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader