Samsung has begun rolling out an official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update, with base firmware XXMC3, for the international version of the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200); the device was first shipped with Android Honeycomb. The XXMC3 Jelly Bean is an unbranded version and can be downloaded through Samsung Kies.
Android 4.1.2 XXMC3 Jelly Bean firmware is released for Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus P6200.
Followed by the official roll out, XDA developer acme1974 has released a ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery file with a Superusers file for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. This allows users to root devices running Android 4.1.2 XXMC3 Jelly Bean. To access root, users have to first install the CWM Recovery file and then install SuperSU file via Recovery mode.
Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus users who wish to root devices running official Android 4.1.2 XXMC3 Jelly Bean firmware may follow our step-by-step guide. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any mishap. Before proceeding, users are advised to ensure their device meets these requirements.
- Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
- Enable USB debugging Mode on the tablet, to connect with the computer, and use Android SDK [Press Menu > Settings > Applications. Then navigate and click on Development and ensure USB debugging is turned on]
- Create a back-up because the tutorial will wipe all data on the device
- Verify battery carries above 80 percent charge
- Rooting device will avoid manufacturer's warranty. Users can regain warranty by unrooting
- The Recovery file and the Superuser files used for rooting are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus P6200 running on Android 4.1.2 XXMC3 Jelly Bean
Steps to Install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus P6200
- Download Recovery.tar.rar file for Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus to the computer. Extract recovery.tar.rar file using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool
- Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip file and copy to SD card of tablet
- Download Odin v3.07
- Power off tablet and boot into Download Mode. To do so, power on tablet while pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons until Samsung logo or construction Android robot and a triangle appears on screen [this is Download mode]
- Run Odin on the computer
- Connect the tablet to the computer using a USB cable, while former is in Download mode. When the device is connected, the ID: COM box will turn blue
- In Odin, click the PDA and select the recovery.tar.md5 file
- Ensure the Re-Partition option in Odin is not selected
- Double-check and click Start in Odin. The installation process will now begin
- Once installation is completed, the tablet will reboot automatically. After the home screen appears, unplug USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer
Steps to root Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus by Installing SuperSU via CWM Recovery
- Reboot tablet into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons
- Once device is in Recovery mode, use Volume to scroll to Apply Update Zip from internal storage
- Now select install zip from sdcard, select choose zip from sdcard and then navigate to the Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip. Select and confirm installation by selecting Yes
- Once installation process is completed, return to main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot tablet
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), running official Android 4.1.2 XXMC3 Jelly Bean, is now rooted successfully. Open the app drawer of the Galaxy tablet and look for an app called superuser.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader