Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean official firmware has recently released for the international 3G +Wi-Fi version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with model number P3100. The XXDMB Jelly Bean is an unbranded version of firmware and can be downloaded though Samsung Kies.
Samsung has released Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: February, 2013
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 users, who have already upgraded their devices with the latest official release, may follow our step-by-step guide below to root the same. The root method uses CF-Auto-Root files released by XDA developer, Chainfire. It should be noted that the root file does not install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery but installs SuperSU and root binary only.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before proceeding, users are advised to ensure that their Galaxy tablets meet the requirement below.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on the computer to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all the data of the device. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP installed already then backup all the data using the same since it create a complete image of the existing tablet set up.
4) The tablet should have above 80 per cent of charge.
5) The Galaxy Tab should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The rooting package used in the tutorial works only with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100, applying this on any other variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Tablet.
7) Rooting the tablet will void manufacturer's warranty. However, users can regain the warranty by unrooting the device.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 on Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean
1) Download CF-Auto-Root package for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the computer then extract the downloaded zip file
2) Download Odin v1.85 which will help to root the XXDMB1 Jelly Bean firmware
3) Power off the tablet and boot the device into Download Mode. Press and hold the Volume Up and then press the Power buttons together until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears on the screen of the tablet. Now press the Power button again to confirm to enter into Download Mode
4) Open Odin on the computer
5) Plug in the USB cable to the tablet to connect it with the computer. When the tablet is connected successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step will take some time
6) Now in Odin, click on 'PDA' button and select the 'CF-Auto-Root-espressorf-espressorfxx-gtp3100.zip' file, which was extracted in step-1
7) Verify that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options are selected in Odin
8) Double check everything and click the 'Start' button in Odin. The installation process will begin now and would take about a few minutes to complete
9) Once the installation process is completed, the tablet will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically. The ID: COM box will also turn green.
10) When the home screen is seen, unplug the USB cable from tablet to disconnect it from the computer
Sometimes the device does not boot into Recovery Mode automatically and root the device. If that happens, then perform the tutorial from the beginning. If that does not work too then again perform the tutorial but ensure that the Auto Reboot option in Odin is not checked. Then after step-9 follow the below mentioned instructions
a) Pull out the battery from the tablet or keep holding the Power button to switch off the tablet forcefully
b) Now boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons together. This will start the installation process to root the tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 running on official Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean is now rooted successfully. Open the app drawer of the tablet and check for an app called SuperSU from the list. Additionally, to ensure that the root method is installed and working properly, download an app called Root Checker from Google Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader