Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via SuperNexus 2.0 ROM
Galaxy S2 I9100G users can now enjoy a Nexus-styled user-interface (UI) powered by pure vanilla Android experience with due release of SuperNexus 2.0 ROM from the industrious Android developers. The new Nexus ROM brings a bloatware-free experience alongside a host of feature enhancements and optimisations under its hood.
Built entirely out of AOSP source, the ROM offers the latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) features for Galaxy S2 I9100G. As this is a custom release, its installation requires ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery to be pre-installed on the phone.
New Features of Android 4.2.2 SuperNexus 2.0 Jelly Bean ROM
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Super SU)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- AndroidSource Codevastly improved and optimized (i.e. Bionic, Dalvik, Webkit, Framework, libcore, SQlite etc)
- Official Jelly Bean Bootanimation (From Official Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.1 Factory Image)
- Init.d Support
- Rsync Support
- UserInit Support
- Bash & Nano Support
- Native SIP/VOIP Support
- OpenSSH Support (ssh, sshd, scp, stfp)
- HSPA+ Support
- OpenVPN Support
- Ad-Hoc Network Support
- EXT4 File System Optimizations
- Galaxy S II Device Settings As An App
- Large APN & SPN List
- Framework Features:
-Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery, Download & Screenshot Options)
-Improved Scrolling Cache
-Tweaked Animation Values Of Progress Spinners (Silky SmoothLoading Spinners)
-Enabled Rotation Lock Tile in Quick Settings for Phones (Previously was only enabled on Tablets)
-Increased Lockscreen Widget limit from 5 to 9
-Enabled Copy/Paste in Gtalk
-Options for switching betweenUSB Mass Storageand MTP/PTP (On Specific Devices)
- Camera Features:-
-Burst Shot (Up to 20 Images at once)
-Touch Focus Duration
-Power Shutter (Click Power Button ToCapture Image/Video)
-Zero-Shutter Lag (On Specific devices)
-Control Zoom using Volume keys
-Touch-to-focus timeout duration settings
-Exposure and JPEG Quality settings in Video Mode
-HDR (High-dynamic-range imaging)
- Browser Features:-
-Increased Maximum Tab limit from 16 to 64
-Incognito Tab Option (When long pressed on an URL)
-Option To Close All Tabs With One-Click
-Allowed Any Type Of File To Be Downloaded
-Enabled WebGL (Ultra smooth browsing)
- Phone Features:-
-T9 Dialer Support
-Landscape Dialer Support
- Miscellaneous Features:
-Allowed Installation Of Apps From Unknown Sources By Default
-Allowed Any Type Of File To Be Sent/Received Via Bluetooth
-Disabled Data Roaming By Default
-Removed Google's Software Updates Option from Settings
-Enabled Gesture Input By default
-Hardware Information of the device (Settings>About Device>Hardware Information)
Key Points to Note
- SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S2 I9100G model only. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Back up data and settings on the phone via a recommended custom recovery tool such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers).
- Double check to see that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden the Developer Options under Settings. Now, you can enable USB Debugging mode by selecting the appropriate checkbox.
- Make sure that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Your phone will not be recognised by Samsung KIES after installing this ROM, as it is a custom release.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UKwill not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G via SuperNexus 2.0 ROM
Step 1 - Download SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S2 I9100G on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded SuperNexus 2.0 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the device enters ClockworkMod Recovery, do a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes. Finally, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache from advanced option in Recovery to prevent boot loops issues or any firmware related errors.
Step 8 - Return to the main recovery screen and click Install Zip from SD card.
Step 9 - Then click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the ROM zip file copied earlier to phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process should begin.
Note: Repeat the above step (Step 9) for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 11 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and hit Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot automatically and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100G is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via SuperNexus 2.0 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the same.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader