Galaxy S I9000 Gets Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update via GamerzROM Legendary Edition [How to Install]
There is some good news for Android smartphone gamers around the world as the industrious custom ROM developers have unleashed the fastest and yet most stable Jelly Bean firmware to date via Android 4.2.2 GamerzROM Legendary Edition. As the name implies, the custom ROM has been fully optimised to handle games very well and hence provide a fast, smooth and highly-stable gaming experience for Galaxy S GTI9000 like no other custom ROM has done before.
The ROM touted as the GamerzROM Legendary Edition brings a collection of top custom features hand-picked from popular custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod, without compromising on speed or performance. GamerzROM is now available for manual download and installation with this guide, with due credit to XDA Senior Member burakgon and PITtech who released this wonderful ROM.
Here is what the developer had to say about the performance of this ROM in his latest Facebook update:
"This build is very fast and will give you best antutu score, better gaming and overall speed compared with old 2 versions."
In addition, the developer has provided a download link for modem drivers on Facebook (click here to download) for users who are switching from Gingerbread to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware using GamerzROM. These drivers will reportedly fix "No Network" issue on your phone after installation.
Galaxy S I9000 Gets Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update via GamerzROM Legendary Edition
Key Points to Note
- GamerzROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S GTI9000 model only. Do not attempt this tutorial on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify if correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on your computer (download Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it can create a complete image of the existing phone setup. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode in Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 85 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the firmware.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery installed.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from Recovery mode.
- Your phone will not be recognised by Samsung KIES after installing the ROM, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S I9000 via GamerzROM Legendary Edition
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 GamerzROM Legendary Edition and Google Apps for Galaxy S I9000 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded GamerzROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the device boots into Recovery mode.
Step 6 - After the device enters CWM Recovery, do a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
Step 7 - Do Wipe Cache Partition and once the process is complete, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache from advanced option in CWM Recovery.
Step 8 - Return to the main recovery menu. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to GamerzROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the firmware installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat the previous step (Step 8) for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Rom and Google Apps are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and hit Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S GTI9000 is now successfully updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware via GamerzROM Legendary Edition. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader