Galaxy S4 I9500 Receives Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK Jelly Bean Firmware.
The most anticipated smartphone of the year, Galaxy S4 I9500, is finally up for grabs in the UK, Russia, India and several other countries. The latest reports on the internet suggest that the smartphone is currently out of stock across several retail outlets in the UK owing to its unprecedented demand and stocks are expected to be replenished by 3 May.
However, if you are one of the few lucky customers who have already grabbed the handset, then you may try installing Samsung's latest Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK official firmware for the device through KIES. S4 users who missed the official update over Samsung KIES, and those who messed up their device for some reason or the other can now download and install the same manually, using this guide.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Key Points to Note
- XXUAMDK official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the Galaxy S4 I9500 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure thecorrect USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S4 I9500 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including the EFS folder, which contains key security information like the device's IMEI number. It is recommended that you use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier).
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S4 I9500
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 I9500XXUAMDK official firmware for Galaxy S4 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to install the official firmware on your phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Select the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Click the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file with 'MODEM' in its name. Ignore if there is no such file.
- Choose the 'CSC' checkbox and click the file with 'CSC' in its name. Ignore if such file is absent.
- Select the 'PIT' checkbox and choose the .pit file. Ignore if such file is missing.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Step 10 - Once the firmware installation completes, your phone will reboot. Finally, when the home screen appears, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader