How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 by Flashing Offical Firmware [GUIDE]
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 users can now unroot their device to recover the phone's warranty by using this guide. In order to regain the device hardware warranty, users must install Triangle Away app to reset flash counter to zero and then follow the steps in this guide to unroot the device successfully.
Methods of Unrooting Galaxy S4 I9500
Galaxy S4 users can basically unroot their device in two ways:
1. Install official firmware via Odin.
2. Use unroot method that comes with the root method that was discussed earlier (click to see the step-by-step guide).
Users who are planning to restore warranty on their device should either install country-specific official firmware from Samsung or unroot the device manually using this guide. The country-specific firmware list can be found here: Galaxy S4 I9500 Official Firmware List.
NOTE: The unroot method employed in this guide makes use of official I9500XXUAMDE Android 4.2.2 firmware that rolled out for India just a few days back. In order to accomplish unroot status, ODIN flash tool is used which will enable the user to flash stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy S4.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Firmware Details:
Date: April, 2013
- The unroot package and instructions provided in this guide are meant for Galaxy S4 I9500 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone using CWM recovery, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while rooting the device.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier)
Key Points to Note
- Access to custom recovery tools (CWM or TWRP) and custom ROMs (such as CM10, Paranoid Android or AOKP) will be lost after flashing the official firmware. Custom versions will be replaced bystock counterparts.
- If "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message appears in Odin message box then just re-download the firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during the unroot process. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Unroot Galaxy S4 I9500 by Flashing Official Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a .tar.md5 file and few other files.
2. Extract Odin zip file to receive Odin3 v3.07.exe along with some other files.
3. Turn off the phone and Wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Now, boot the Galaxy S4 I9500 into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home (center) buttons simultaneously and then long press the Power button until a message prompts the user to press the Volume Up key to continue.
5. Now launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (see Step 2) as an Administrator as Admin privileges are required to complete the unroot process smoothly.
6. Now connect the phone to computer with USB cable. A message reading "Added!" appears in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear then just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of the computer). If all else fails then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin proceed to the next step. At this point, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow if the device is added successfully.
7. Choose the following files in Odin from extracted I9500XXUAMDE firmware folder by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and choose the file named .tar or .md5.
- Click the Phone checkbox, and choose the file with 'modem' in its name (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the CSC checkbox, and select the file with 'CSC' in its name (ignore if such file is missing)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and choose the .pit file. Use only the file obtained during extracting in step 1 above, otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes. Also, ensure the Re-Partition checkbox is chosen only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
9. Verify everything suggested in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the flashing completes, the phone will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean official firmware is now unrooted on Galaxy S4 I9500. However, to restore warranty first install triangle away app to reset flash counter to zero and then follow the above steps.
If Galaxy S4 I9500 is stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition before selecting reboot system now. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in Recovery. Performing data wiping task will erase your device internal memory and not external SD card data.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader