Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based Avatar Build 2.9b ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
Galaxy S3 I9300 users can now enjoy the latest features of CyanogenMod with the striking MIUI theme engine, thanks to the release of Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) based Avatar ROM Build 2.9b. The latest build of Avatar ROM from team Avatar, brings a blend of top custom features hand-picked from popular custom ROMs like CM10.
Key Points to Note
- Avatar Build 2.9b ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant - Galaxy S3 I9300 model only. Do not attempt these instructions on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap Build number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden Developer Options. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- If the device is stuck at boot or experiencing boot loop issues after flashing the ROM, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five to ten minutes after first boot, before you start working on it.
- If you encounter a Status 7 error message, then it could be due to an incompatible device or a necessary kernel may be missing (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel is required for installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based Avatar Build 2.9b ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
1. Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Once the file transfer procedure is complete, Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Boot the phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button together until the screen flashes. Then release all three buttons. NOTE: Use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of the phone's existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to boot, or you want to return to the previous ROM. To do a data backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery screen once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task to eliminate conflicts between the newly installed ROM and the original ROM. First, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes and then return to the CWM recovery main menu.
7. Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes. Then do Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the process completes, proceed to the next step.
8. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse and select the SlimBean Build 5 ROM zip file copied earlier in Step 2 by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon the installation process will begin.
9. After the ROM installation is complete, repeat Step 8 but choose SlimBean Gapps zip instead of ROM zip file to install Google Apps. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now. The phone will now reboot into the newly installed ROM. As the first boot may take about five minutes to complete, leave it alone.
Restoring Previous ROM: To restore the original ROM: boot the phone into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Avatar Build 2.9b ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader