Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Official Android 4.1.2 DXLS8 Jelly Bean Firmware
Galaxy S2 I9100G has been in the spotlight for quite some time, as the smartphone has received uninhibited developer support with a spate of Jelly Bean updates via custom ROMs, besides regular official updates from Samsung. Recently the handset received Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) custom firmware via the popular SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM from SlimROMs team.
Now Samsung has rolled out its latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware, Android 4.1.2 DXLS8, for the phone in several countries including Malaysia. The official firmware is still unavailable for download through Samsung KIES. Nevertheless, those who did not receive the OTA update notification and those who cannot wait for the official release in their country can download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide.
NOTE: The installation of this firmware does not require ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or a rooted Galaxy S2 smartphone. Instead, it can be installed via ODIN flash tool.
Android 4.1.2 DXLS8 Firmware Details:
Date: April, 2013
Key Points to Note
- DXLS8 official firmware and instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S2 I9100G model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any necessary wiping task during firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as it may inadvertently damage or brick the device.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and its bootloader unlocked to prevent conflicts during firmware installation.
- Installation of this firmware requires ODIN, which is exclusively designed for Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 DXLS8 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step 1: Download Android 4.1.2 DXLS8 Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S2 I9100G and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to a desired location on the desktop to receive a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect your phone to computer via USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the phone's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 7: Choose the following files from I9100GDXLS8 folder that you obtained in Step 2 in Odin using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the .tar.md5 file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to disconnect the USB cable to remove the device from computer.
The Galaxy S2 I9100G is now running on Android 4.1.2 DXLS8 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
If the device gets stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before tapping reboot system now.
NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing wiping function will erase your phone's internal memory and not data stored on SD card.
ALSO READ: Galaxy S2 I9100G Gets Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10.2 Unofficial Build [GUIDE]
[Source: Droid Firmwares]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader