Asus has now made Android 5.0 Lollipop upgrade available for two more of its ZenFone series devices - ZenFone 6 and 5.
The over-the-air upgrade is currently seeding for ZenFone 5 models A500CG and A501CG with software update 220.127.116.11, which is the same version for ZenFone 6 models A600CG and A601CG. The following are the changes you should notice after installing Android Lollipop firmware on your ZenFone models.
Changelog for ZenFone 5 and 6
As Android Lollipop does not support some pre-installed apps, the listed apps will be removed once the upgrade is complete.
- Battery widget
- PhotoFrame widget
- Google Text-To-Speech
- Movie Studio
- Cloud Print
- Magic Smoke wallpapers
Following are the features added or changed in the system upgrade
- SuperNote: change to link-downloading version
- Asuswebstorage: change to link-downloading version
- Remote Link: change to link-downloading version
- Lockscreen: remove standalone wallpaper & weather info (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Quick settings/Recent app layout change (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Dialer/Contacts: reduce tab count from 5 to 3; remove group tab name/photo; remove foreground service (only for 1GB RAM device)
- InCall screen: remove inCall animation & cover (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Fix the problem of losing some files after changing the folder name in File Manager
- Add Zinio
The upgrade will cause issues for Asus Contacts widgets
Before upgrade, add 4x1 Asus Contacts widget to Home; after upgrade the Asus Contacts widget will always show 'loading'.
Solution: Remove old 4x1 Asus Contacts widget and re-add new 4x1 Asus Contacts widget to Home.
After upgrade, the information in 4x3 Asus Contacts widget will disappear.
Solution: Re-add information into 4x3 Asus Contacts widget.
For ZenFone 6
No longer supports NTFS format SD card. Please remember to back up your SD card data before upgrade to Android L with the following steps:
- Connect your ZenFone and computer with USB cable
- Enter ZenFone storage via computer
- Select all data and copy it. Paste all your SD card data to your computer
How to update ZenFone 6 and 5 to Android 5.0 Lollipop (software v18.104.22.168)
Step-1: Download Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update for your ZenFone
Step-2: Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable, then transfer the downloaded file to the storage of the phone; internal or, external, both works
Step-3: Disconnect the phone from the computer
Step-4: Wait for some time and you should see a notification on the notification bar
Step-5: Now apply the update and you are done
You should now be running the new Android version on your ZenFone 5/6.