Close on the heels of CyanogenMod 10.1 custom Jelly Bean ROM, Asus Transformer Pad TF300T gets yet another Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware via Paranoid Android hybrid ROM. The hybrid ROM enables users to switch the tablet's user interface (UI) between phone mode and tablet mode for any chosen app.
Paranoid Android ROM also includes a new feature called "per app colour" that allows you to select statusbar and navbar colours for apps individually. In other words, the colour can be changed from app to app based on user customisation.
Some key feature highlights of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware include multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, enhanced Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
NOTE: As the Paranoid Android v2.99 ROM is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features such as the buggy Rotation feature. All such issues will be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- Paranoid Android ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Android 4.2.1 Paranoid Android ROM on Transformer Pad TF300T.
- Verify that the tablet battery has at least 80 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the hybrid ROM based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update on your tablet.
- Ensure that correct USB drivers are installed for Asus Transformer Pad TF300T on your computer. Download USB drivers.
- Make sure that the tablet's bootloader is unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Paranoid Android ROM on the Transformer Pad TF300T. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Asus Transformer Pad TF300T with Paranoid Android v2.99 ROM
1. Connect your phone to the computer with the original USB cable.
2. Copy downloaded zip files to the root folder of your tablet. Important: Do not extract any files.
3. Disconnect USB cable from computer and switch off your tablet.
4. Boot into CWM Recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until a message appears on screen saying "Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)". Within 5 seconds, tap the Volume Up button to enter CWM Recovery. Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can restore it later, if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup on next screen. Wait until backup process completes and return to main recovery menu.
6. Perform a full data wipe. To do so, choose wipe data/factory reset, and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Choose Install Zip from sdcard and click Choose Zip from sdcard. Navigate to the ROM zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm ROM installation by hitting Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but choose Google Apps (GApps) instead of ROM to install the Google apps package.
9. Once GApps is installed, return to main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the tablet into customized Android 4.2.1 Paranoid Android v2.99 ROM. The first boot is time-consuming, so leave it alone.
10. Restoring Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware based Paranoid Android v2.99 ROM is now installed on your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T.
[Source: Android Jinn]