Of late, Android smartphones and tablets are being showered with Jelly Bean goodness from all corners, thanks to various custom ROMs on offer. This time the contribution comes from Team EOS, a development team renowned for its work with custom ROMs.
The custom ROM from EOS brings several feature enhancements such as smoother interface, improved notification area and an enhanced stock keyboard. Asus Transformer Prime TF201 users are in for a special Jelly Bean treat via the EOS 3 custom ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The instructions and the ROM provided with this guide are limited to the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime, model number TF201 only and will not work on other devices. Trying this ROM update on other devices may cause irreparable damage to the unit.
- The instructions given in the guide are solely for reference purpose and do not offer any guarantee or support warranty claims in case of any issues while performing the update. Users should proceed at their own risk.
- IBTimes UK advises its readers to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and internet settings) to avoid the risk of losing data while doing the ROM update.
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Ensure the tablet is fully charged or has at least 70 percent charge left before you begin the procedure
- Download the following software files to the desktop on your computer:
a) Team EOS Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM (EOS-tf201-20120724-29.zip, md5sum: c3179f6e9e0132fce180dde21299f233)
b) Google Apps package (gapps-jb-20120722-eos-signed.zip, md5sum: 6bd1356e50cac814791d4f8621d96c1a)
How to Update Transformer Prime TF201 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via the EOS 3 custom ROM
- Copy EOS-tf201-20120724-29.zip and gapps-jb-20120722-eos-signed.zip files to the tablet's internal SD card.
- Power off the tablet device
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by performing a button sequence. Press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until you see a text message with a couple of lines on the screen. Immediately within 5 seconds, press Volume Up button to enter ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Perform a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. If you find any issues with the new ROM, you can easily revert to the previous ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore. Then on the next screen, select Backup again. Return to the main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then select Yes on the following screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Advanced. Now, tap Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card. Select Choose ZIP From SD Card, then locate the downloaded EOS-tf201-20120724-29.zip file and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and flash the gapps-jb-20120722-eos-signed.zip similar to step 8.
- Once installation is done, head over to the main recovery menu by selecting Go Back.
- Finally, reboot your tablet by selecting Reboot System Now.
Setting up offline voice recognition feature
- Once you have booted up the tablet, go to Settings > Language & Input.
- Scroll down to "Speech" and select Voice Search.
- Choose Download offline speech recognition.
- Swipe Across to the ALL tab if needed.
- Download the speech pack depending on your language.
This completes the procedure for EOS 3 custom ROM based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean installation on Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201. You can now enjoy the Jelly Bean goodness with fully functional offline voice recognition on your tablet.
[Source: Android Authority]