Neymar Brazil
Neymar had said that he wanted to play both the Copa America and the Olympics.Reuters

Barcelona have confirmed an agreement with the Brazilian Football Federation for Neymar to miss the Copa America in June and only play the Olympic Games in August. The Catalan club made the announcement on Wednesday night, after they laid a disastrous run of three consecutive defeats to rest, with a 8-0 win over Deportivo de la Coruna to retain their position at the top of La Liga table with just four games remaining.

The Catalans have been in negotiations with the Brazilian Federation over the issue in recent months, amid concerns that Neymar's participation in both tournaments could hamper his preparation for the club's next campaign.

Barcelona faced a doubly tough task to convince both Brazil and Neymar himself, following last month when the 24-year-old star told GloboEsporte that he wants to play both tournaments as he is young enough to cope with such a busy summer.

"I am 24-years-old, I have to take advantage of it. Within a few years I will no longer be able to do it all. I believe that today I am capable [of playing in both], yes," Neymar told. "I do not know anything about the conversation Dunga had with the coach [Luis Enrique]. I will talk to him [Dunga] during international duty. We will see what happens. I am going to talk with the coach here [in Barcelona] too, and also whoever is responsible for this. I hope I can play in the two.

"If it were a choice, I would pick the two, but to choose one I would have to talk and think hard. I hope I can play the two, it is a desire I have. But I will decide this with Barcelona, the coach, the directors, to see what the best thing to do is.

But Barcelona have now revealed that they have won a club vs country row and that Neymar will only play during the Olympic Games.

"FC Barcelona thanks all parties involved for releasing the Brazilian international from appearing at the Copa America Centenario in the USA," the club announced.

"FC Barcelona expresses its gratitude to the Brazilian Football Confederation and its president Marco Polo del Nero for accepting the Club's proposal for Neymar Jr to only play at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro this summer, to be held from August 3 to 21, and not at the Copa America in the United States from June 3 to 26."

Twitter