Barcelona vice-president Jordi Mestre says the club agreed a £65m deal to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool, despite the Uruguayan having a £75m relase clause in his contract at Anfield.
The 27 year old international was officially unveiled as new Barcelona player on Tuesday morning after making his debut for the Catalans in a pre-season friendly against Leon.
Suarez had been banned from all football activity aftering biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in the World Cup but his ban was lifted last week, allowing him to train and be officially unveiled as a Barcelona player.
The former Merseyside hero had claimed he always dreamed about playing for Barcelona, admitting he didn't need much time to consider leaving Liverpool for the Catalans.
"For years I've been dreaming of playing for Barca...I didn't think it was something that was ever going to happen," Suarez said.
"When the possibility came to play here I did not doubt in any moment. It was about fulfilling dream I had since I was a boy. Thanks to the club, to the president and to everyone, the manager too, for showing so much confidence in me. It means a lot," he explains.
"For me the stars are in the sky. For me it is about bringing something to help the team win things."
Questioned if he also had an offer from Real Madrid, he explained: "There were options to sign for other teams, but once Barca interested there were no doubts."
And questioned about his unprecedented ban, he said: "I know I must accept the reality and have apologised. That is something from the past and to be forgotten."
"When [bite] happened I felt very down, then saw I had to apologise. I prefer not to go back over all I have been through,"
"The lesson is clear. The lesson I should take on myself. It was my mistake. But that is the past now."
Asked whether he has recieved help to control himself, he added: "That is something personal, but I've dealt with professionals.
Suarez made his debut for Barcelona on Monday night during Gamper Cup pre-season 6-0 victory over Mexican side Leon, coming off the bench in the 75th minute
"Playing at the Camp Nou yesterday was spectacular, very emotional. I still can't believe it. This is a dream come true," Suarez said about his debut.
Furthermore, Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta revealed they had been monitoring Suarez for years.
"We've been following Luis for years. When we explained (manager) Luis Enrique the forward options we had, he chose Luis," Zubizarreta said.
"He's got goals and combines well. He's competitive and will give us a lot of options in attack"