Fifa Initiates Disciplinary Action against Uruguay's Luis Suarez over Biting Controversy
A poll reveals Suarez's infamous World Cup bite has left its mark on public opinionReuters

Barcelona have been encouraged to forget about Luis Suarez after a recent poll made by Catalan newspaper Sport reveals their readers are against the Liverpool star signing.

Even though it is true that everyone is entitled to vote, the results are especially surprising taking into account the fact that Sport is based in Catalunya and most of their readers support Barcelona.

Sport pool

But questioned on whether they would sign the Liverpool star following his latest bite incident with Giorgio Chiellini 60% of the readers – more than 10,000 people – voted no, while the other 40% are in favour of securing his services.

Even though nobody in Spain doubts Suarez's special talent after becoming the Premier League player of the year last campaign, there have been some concerns about his behaviour following his third biting incident – with Fifa suspending him from nine international matches and handing him a four-month ban from all football.

Suarez firstly denied even biting the Italian defender but reports in Spain claim that after Barcelona requested him to shed his "bad boy" image by issuing an apology, he eventually expressed his regret over the incident in order to pave the way for his move to Nou Camp.

Reports in Spain claim that new Barcelona manager Luis Enrique has earmarked Suarez as his priority summer target as he believes that the Uruguay international can follow Hristo Stoichkov footsteps, who became a favourite with Nou Camp supporters despite his similar "bad boy" attitude.

Meanwhile, both Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu and club sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta have heaped praise on Suarez for his bravery and humility in expressing an apology following his "mistake".

"Luis Suarez is a Liverpool player but what he has done by apologising (after the bite) honours him," said the Barcelona president.

While Zubizarreta added: "Suarez has had the character and humility to recognize the mistake and apologise to Chiellini and football. This honours him as a person and from here begins the path to recovery."