Three propane gas cylinders have exploded at a warehouse in Bermondsey near to where the Evening Standard and Daily Mail newspapers used to be printed.
London Fire Brigade was called to the disused warehouse on Surrey Quays road at 1.37pm today after the three cylinders exploded near where Associated Newspapers used to print its newspapers.
Eight fire engines rushed to the scene where 58 fire fighters have battled to bring the blaze under control.
No one has been injured as a result of the over heated cylinders but fire fighters face the threat of further explosions as more cylinders are believed to be in the building.
Huge plumes of smoke wafted into the air above south London and could be seen as far away as Canary Wharf.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "We are dealing with a fire at a warehouse in Surrey Quays Road in Bermondsey.
"We sent eight fire engines and a total of 58 fire fighters to the warehouse as part of it is alight. No injuries have been reported but the safety of our fire fighters remains paramount as there are more cylinders inside."